Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Islamic Issues and News (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Allah and other languages words for GOD (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=46015)

Dichotomy Girl 05-21-2014 07:58 AM

Re: Allah and other languages words for GOD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Praxeas (Post 1310758)
Allah is like the Hebrew Elohim. It's a generic word meaning God but now that I think of it, God/Elohim isn't really the personal name of God in the bible. Does Allah have a unique name for Him in Islam?

Greek was Theos. Latin Deos

What I find fascinating is the concept of the Name of God in the old testament. I did a personal study many years back when I was trying to wrap my head around Jesus Name Baptism (vs. the titles).

And I find it very interesting that in the OT the temple, is continually referred to as a place for the Name of the Lord to dwell. In Duet. the Lord says that when they reach the promised land they will need to worship, not as the pagans, but in the Place he chooses for his name to dwell. And In 1 Kings 8, Solomon repeatedly says that he built the temple for the Name of the Lord.

Praxeas 05-21-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dichotomy Girl (Post 1314355)
What I find fascinating is the concept of the Name of God in the old testament. I did a personal study many years back when I was trying to wrap my head around Jesus Name Baptism (vs. the titles).

And I find it very interesting that in the OT the temple, is continually referred to as a place for the Name of the Lord to dwell. In Duet. the Lord says that when they reach the promised land they will need to worship, not as the pagans, but in the Place he chooses for his name to dwell. And In 1 Kings 8, Solomon repeatedly says that he built the temple for the Name of the Lord.

"Name" in the bible (Old and New) is a synonym for "Person" and at other times a synonym for a Person's authority.

there are a lot of other interesting aspects to the whole name subject. Im glad you were interested in it

kenj 10-28-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfblume (Post 1314127)
Allah is not God.

Just saying.

"Allah" is the English transliteration of the Arabic لله
It is pronounced "Allah" in English.
In any Arabic Bible لله, "Allah" occurs everywhere "God" occurs in an English Bible.
So Genesis 1 begins, "Allah created heaven and earth" and in the NT, Jesus is the Son of "Allah".

To say "Allah" is not God is like saying "Dieu" or "Dios" or any word for God in another language is not God.

Praxeas 10-29-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenj (Post 1341236)
In any Arabic Bible لله, "Allah" occurs everywhere "God" occurs in an English Bible.
So Genesis 1 begins, "Allah created heaven and earth" and in the NT, Jesus is the Son of "Allah".

To say "Allah" is not God is like saying "Dieu" or "Dios" or any word for God in another language is not God.

Two different topics

Is Allah, the God of the Quran the same God as the Bible. Bro Mike says NO!

Is Allah the Arabic word for God? Yes.

Those are two different topics

thephnxman 11-23-2014 09:49 PM

"Allah" is certainly the word that is translated God, in English. However, it is not the same God as described among Christians. If it was, then we would be following the same doctrines, as well as the same apostles and prophets. We are not; rather, I am not.
The muslim god is the god of this world: it is not the God that has afforded us the gospel that saves in "...the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.

thephnxman 11-23-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walks_in_islam (Post 1310765)
Jesus (at least according to Mark) called on the name of ELI
(אלהי אלהי למא שבקתני) uses term Eloi, from a very early version of the gospel

Is the New Testament not written, essentially, in Greek? But the words of the Lord are pronounced in Aramaic, no? So the Lord was calling on El-ohim (El is short for El-ohim), saying EL-oi... "My God" = " My El-ohim".

But the NAME God (OUR God) has chosen is Ye-shua as His NAME (which some scholars would translate the NAME to Je-sus).

Praxeas 11-23-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walks_in_islam (Post 1310765)
Not according to Jesus funny man.

Jesus (at least according to Mark) called on the name of ELI

(אלהי אלהי למא שבקתני) uses term Eloi, from a very early version of the gospel

El was not God's name. El simply means "God", though it can also mean "Strength"

El is the shortened form of Eloah. Eloah is the singular hebrew way to say "God"

Eli is the word El with the suffix "I", making it "My God"

Antipas 02-23-2015 01:18 PM

The human race is suffering because they fail to see that the name of God and the form of God isn't what is important, it is His reality.

Fionn mac Cumh 02-23-2015 01:20 PM

I wasnt implying that Allah of Islam is the same as the GOD of Christianity. You all missed the point. I was saying, is it wrong for an arabic speaking christian to call GOD allah?

Monterrey 02-23-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenj (Post 1341236)

So the phrase that the Moslems say "There is no god but allah and muhammed is his prophet"...

Should be "There is no allah but allah and muhammed is his prophet?

Is that what you are saying?