Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Deep Waters (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who is the Christ? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=38438)

bbyrd009 02-04-2012 12:28 PM

Who is the Christ?

We naturally assume from "the (three) wise men" that Jesus kind of blew onto the scene, made a big splash, and was known to many. This becomes reinforced in following His ministry, but see how Peter was the only one that named Him the Christ (and even then, misunderstood His mission). Christ was not revealed then as He is now, and assuming He was famous when He was not will lead you to other misunderstandings. The whole progression illuminates a believer's walk, and the end of the path is the Kingdom. You already know where it is.

Sabby 02-04-2012 02:51 PM

Re: Who is the Christ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbyrd009 (Post 1135574)
We naturally assume from "the (three) wise men" that Jesus kind of blew onto the scene, made a big splash, and was known to many. This becomes reinforced in following His ministry, but see how Peter was the only one that named Him the Christ (and even then, misunderstood His mission). Christ was not revealed then as He is now, and assuming He was famous when He was not will lead you to other misunderstandings. The whole progression illuminates a believer's walk, and the end of the path is the Kingdom. You already know where it is.

I think you're right. There is a progressive revelation in the Word that even non - company members understand.

Austin 02-04-2012 04:12 PM

How do you know there was three wise men?

bbyrd009 02-04-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin (Post 1135616)
How do you know there was three wise men?

Ha, that was just to ref Christ's birth...note the parenthesis.

KeptByTheWord 02-06-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

I've often thought about that. What was it about Jesus that people could, or could not see Him as the Christ. It is an amazing thought to ponder. How would I have reacted in that day and time? Would I have known who HE was?

Interesting thoughts to compare their journey coming to a knowledge of Jesus to ours today...

bbyrd009 02-07-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1136104)
...Interesting thoughts to compare their journey coming to a knowledge of Jesus to ours today...

That happened on the nonce, and I was not aware of it beforehand. I just saw parallels to my walk--initial joy, "former rain," followed by a period of learning, searching for spirit, then if you're patient, latter rain (which I believe is either brought by or is Scriptural knowledge...

bertcarring 02-18-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

but see how Peter was the only one that named Him the Christ (and even then, misunderstood His mission). Christ was not revealed then as He is now,

This is incorrect.

bbyrd009 02-18-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertcarring (Post 1138889)
This is incorrect.

Not until you provide a higher truth, it isn't.
"This is incorrect" might mean I missed a capitalization? It has no meaning.
We picture Christ here as already being a rock star--famous to everyone as the Christ, when He was not. See His Disciple's answers to the query, "Who do people, you, say I am?"
(Some say John, some say Elijah, we have our own...bad guess. Lol)

bertcarring 02-18-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbyrd009 (Post 1138940)
Not until you provide a higher truth, it isn't.
"This is incorrect" might mean I missed a capitalization? It has no meaning.
We picture Christ here as already being a rock star--famous to everyone as the Christ, when He was not. See His Disciple's answers to the query, "Who do people, you, say I am?"
(Some say John, some say Elijah, we have our own...bad guess. Lol)

There is no such thing as a higher truth. Truth is Truth.

bbyrd009 02-18-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertcarring (Post 1138971)
There is no such thing as a higher truth. Truth is Truth.

Then pray tell, how do you walk on water?
My meaning there is only that the truth for a 3 year old is not the same truth that will answer a 20 year old. You are right that truth is truth, but the whole truth would prolly kill us in our present state. We do not have the whole truth about anything yet, surely.