Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Promiseland Church Austin,TX (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=33448)

crazyjoe 01-30-2011 11:00 AM

Promiseland Church Austin,TX

What is the history of Promiseland Church and Kenneth Phillips in Austin, TX?

UnTraditional 01-30-2011 01:03 PM

Re: Promiseland Church Austin,TX

Good church from what I have heard. Solid Gospel, and a pastor who is not afraid of being real.

CC1 01-30-2011 01:05 PM

Kenneth Phillips became the pastor back around the mid 60's when it was a UPC church. It remained a UPC church until about 1977 or 1978 when Kenneth Phillips left the UPC because he wanted to minister on television and in '77 the UPC officially banned it.

Since that time the church has been an independent Oneness Spirit filled church and is still pastored by Kenneth Phillips who is now 70 years old. His son Randy Phillips is a member of the popular Gospel singing group PCD (Phillips Craig & Dean) and pastors his own church on the other side of town in West Austin. Randy's church is called "Promiseland West". There are also daughter works of Promiseland in San Marcos, Texas and a few more other places.

Sarah 01-30-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC1 (Post 1020784)
Kenneth Phillips became the pastor back around the mid 60's when it was a UPC church. It remained a UPC church until about 1977 or 1978 when Kenneth Phillips left the UPC because he wanted to minister on television and in '77 the UPC officially banned it.

Since that time the church has been an independent Oneness Spirit filled church and is still pastored by Kenneth Phillips who is now 70 years old. His son Randy Phillips is a member of the popular Gospel singing group PCD (Phillips Craig & Dean) and pastors his own church on the other side of town in West Austin. Randy's church is called "Promiseland West". There are also daughter works of Promiseland in San Marcos, Texas and a few more other places.

I watched Bro Ewing's funeral online where Bro Phillips was one of the speakers. It's been years since I've seen him, but he sounds much the same.

He was always one of my favorites!

ThePastorsCoach 01-30-2011 03:08 PM

I love Promiseland Church (formerly World of Pentecost) and Bishop & Sister Phillips. They are GREAT people! You would be hard pressed to find anyone as passionate about the "Apostolic" message any more than Kenneth Phillips!

CC1 01-30-2011 05:53 PM

To AB's point I should have mentioned that in the 1970's the church was renamed "World of Pentecost" which was also the name of the various telecasts throughout the years.

When a new sanctuary was built in the late 1990's the church was renamed "Promiseland". The new sanctuary seats 2200 but is the approximate size of most auditoriums that seat aound 3,000. That is because the pastor never liked balcony's so this sanctuary does not have one. All 2200 seats are on the ground floor.

Pastor Keith 01-30-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyjoe (Post 1020760)
What is the history of Promiseland Church and Kenneth Phillips in Austin, TX?

He was my childhood Pastor, CC1 may no more than I do. But Kenneth Phillips took the church in the late 60's, he and Mark Hanby were the premiere Evangelists at the time.

Took the church in Austin, at the time had around 65 people. some left.

He began to do outreach to the Student Body of UT and this caused a great influx of souls.

We moved to Austin in 1975. He left the UPC in 1977 over the TV issue. We left Austin in 1987.

Kenneth Phillips is a great evangelistic preacher. He love the Acts 2:38 message.