Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   “Elevating Pastors” (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=53470)

JamesGlen 08-08-2019 04:06 PM

“Elevating Pastors”

My teenage daughter recently asked me, “daddy, do you think pastors are elevated too much?”

This is the day after a visiting minister came(last night).
I hadn’t said a word about it, she just came up and asked me.

I responded sometimes I believe it’s likely.

So my question to you good brethren is, what are some examples of “over elevating a pastor?”

Is it possible?
If so, please give some REASONABLE examples?

Without question there are varying opinions...

It Does seem kind of strange to me that, the word pastor in the singular is not even mention in the New Testament KJV, and only mentioned one time in the plural, and yet their names are on the sign out front of the majority of church buildings, and atleast in the upc they are titled Reverend, and held very highly as God’s man, or mediator/messenger between God and man. Hence they are the tithe receipients.

Not out to slam pastors in this thread, but I am however looking to see some of your thoughts along w examples on over elevating pastors, and why it is over elevating IYO.

Like maybe over elevating in other religions, or demons, or even our Pentecostal fellowships....

No doubt there are on the other side of the coin, “under elevating pastors”....I’m interested in examples of those as well.

jediwill83 08-08-2019 04:50 PM

Re: “Elevating Pastors”

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesGlen (Post 1569596)
My teenage daughter recently asked me, “daddy, do you think pastors are elevated too much?”

This is the day after a visiting minister came(last night).
I hadn’t said a word about it, she just came up and asked me.

I responded sometimes I believe it’s likely.

So my question to you good brethren is, what are some examples of “over elevating a pastor?”

Is it possible?
If so, please give some REASONABLE examples?

Without question there are varying opinions...

It Does seem kind of strange to me that, the word pastor in the singular is not even mention in the New Testament KJV, and only mentioned one time in the plural, and yet their names are on the sign out front of the majority of church buildings, and atleast in the upc they are titled Reverend, and held very highly as God’s man, or mediator/messenger between God and man. Hence they are the tithe receipients.

Not out to slam pastors in this thread, but I am however looking to see some of your thoughts along w examples on over elevating pastors, and why it is over elevating IYO.

Like maybe over elevating in other religions, or demons, or even our Pentecostal fellowships....

No doubt there are on the other side of the coin, “under elevating pastors”....I’m interested in examples of those as well.

I learned more about idolotry in church than I ever learned from movies or sports. Its a terrible burden we place on other men to elevate them to that point.

diakonos 08-08-2019 07:06 PM

If tomorrow I shall remember, I shall posteth.

coksiw 08-08-2019 07:56 PM

We should honor and respect our elders. It is a matter of balance.
Those that elevate them, are the ones that walk out the door offended when they realize the elders are not perfect.
And those that despise them are the ones that develop bad attitudes against authorities and end up contaminating other members hearts.

Don’t elevate them, don’t despise them, just honor them and have them in high respect. If somebody from the pulpit or in a conversation elevates them, well, good luck the day the elder says something offensive, :D.

TakingDominion 08-08-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jediwill83 (Post 1569597)
I learned more about idolotry in church than I ever learned from movies or sports. Its a terrible burden we place on other men to elevate them to that point.

I'm calling shenanigans on this one brother. You're telling me you learned more about IDOL worship in the church than in the world? Have you seen any pictures of football fans lately? How about pictures of people at a Beyonce concert? I agree that some preachers get a little large in the cranium, but I've never seen someone wearing a shirt with their pastors name on the back like people wear jerseys. Speak the truth in love.

good samaritan 08-09-2019 12:12 AM

I ussually feel like by evelating someone we only are setting them up for a fall. We should not elevate anyone, but we should honour them for what they do. In other words we should not take them for granite and we should try to compensate where we can. I think that most pastors are underappreciated more so then elevated. Flattering words is dangerous, if someone is being overly kind with their words beware! They are baiting you up for something.

People often elevate their pastors by having unreal expectations of them. Your pastor is a man and can be hurt as well. If a pastor calls a saint when they miss church then they are being hounded, If a pastor doesn't call when a saint misses then he doesn't care. People sometimes don't realize the unreal expectations they place on their pastor. Many pastors take time from their families trying to reach out to the one scraggling behind and when things get better that is the very one that turns against them because of some little grievance. I understand that pastors sometimes hurt people too, but I assure everyone that they are on the recieving end as well.

PS love your pastor and honor him, but never forget that he is just a man like everyone else. The only mediator between us and God is Christ, but I am thankful for the many pastors that are trying to help other people make heaven their home.

jediwill83 08-09-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakingDominion (Post 1569606)
I'm calling shenanigans on this one brother. You're telling me you learned more about IDOL worship in the church than in the world? Have you seen any pictures of football fans lately? How about pictures of people at a Beyonce concert? I agree that some preachers get a little large in the cranium, but I've never seen someone wearing a shirt with their pastors name on the back like people wear jerseys. Speak the truth in love.

Beyonce never was the gatekeeper to my salvation brother.

Apostolic1ness 08-09-2019 06:42 AM

Should we honor Pastors more than the murmuring children of Israel honored Moses? Do the elder/pastor/teacher really deserve double honor if they rule well and labor in word and doctrine? Would we elevate or esteem Timothy the same as we would Paul? Did David honor Nathan any different than Saul honored Samuel, I would say yes. I would say Saul was like some "saints" that said "Samuel puts his robe on one arm at a time just like the rest of us". While David may have been like other "saints" that say "I perceive that this is an holy man of God, which passeth by us continually. Let us make a little chamber, I pray thee on the wall; and let us set for him there a bed, and a table, and a stool, and a candlestick: and it shall be when he cometh to us, that he shall turn in thither.

I believe we are instructed to give honor where honor is due, the saints in the scripture were told to honor the king and obey them that have rule over them and even treat our employer with respect.

I perceive there is jealousy and envy in the hearts of some because a love of money has defiled hearts of bitter saints.

As long as a Pastor is struggling to make ends meet like some others he's the man of God "look at him struggle, boy he's in the fight with the rest of us", but let him drive a nice truck and live in a nice house and he's too elevated.

diakonos 08-09-2019 07:19 AM

Who’s talking about money?

coksiw 08-09-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness (Post 1569610)
Should we honor Pastors more than the murmuring children of Israel honored Moses? Do the elder/pastor/teacher really deserve double honor if they rule well and labor in word and doctrine? Would we elevate or esteem Timothy the same as we would Paul? Did David honor Nathan any different than Saul honored Samuel, I would say yes. I would say Saul was like some "saints" that said "Samuel puts his robe on one arm at a time just like the rest of us". While David may have been like other "saints" that say "I perceive that this is an holy man of God, which passeth by us continually. Let us make a little chamber, I pray thee on the wall; and let us set for him there a bed, and a table, and a stool, and a candlestick: and it shall be when he cometh to us, that he shall turn in thither.

I believe we are instructed to give honor where honor is due, the saints in the scripture were told to honor the king and obey them that have rule over them and even treat our employer with respect.

I perceive there is jealousy and envy in the hearts of some because a love of money has defiled hearts of bitter saints.

As long as a Pastor is struggling to make ends meet like some others he's the man of God "look at him struggle, boy he's in the fight with the rest of us", but let him drive a nice truck and live in a nice house and he's too elevated.

Brother the danger is to equate a Pastor with the Prophets of the Old Testament. It is not the same. We all have the Holy Spirit and are just brethren. A pastor is not the prophet for our life, or like some say “the man of God” for our life. He is not the King either. That’s how you end up with JW and LDS sects, hahaha.

But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ.
— Matthew 23:8-10

If you see the context is about a warning against creating a clergy class inside the church that ends up becoming a trap for the “clergy” and for the “saint”. I’m afraid this is actually the norm in many churches and has become a trap for many, and the over-elevation of Pastors and the counterreaction is just a symptom.

I honor elders that are or have served the Lord because they deserve it. They lived life and they made it. They have wisdom. They have taught the word and help bring many to Christ.

I respect pastors (young or not) because they work to feed the souls for eternal life, they watch for us so I try to make it easy for them and listen to what they have to say (what Heb calls “obey”, which is not the same obey for parent-child)

I love them, pastors, elders, whatever because they are my brethren.