View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Not riding the train

Re: New "common core" curriculum in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I will come back and watch it in a couple of days, when my internet resets. It is miserable at times being on Hughes Net, and limited on bandwidth

I had an interesting discussion with a librarian at our local high school on the Common Core. She is very pro-CC. She says that there needs to be a standard when children switch schools around the country so they are not behind, and that the CC addresses this. While the CC may address this issue (possibly), there are much bigger agendas at stake wrapped up in the propaganda that make this just one more example of government takeover through the classroom.
She says, in the video, that a child may not be comfortable adding 9 + 6. LOL!

"They are quite comfortable thinking about their friend 10. 10 is emphasized in our young grades as we are working in a base 10 system. So, if we can partner 9 to a number and anchor that to 10, we can help our students see what 9 + 6 is. So, we are going to decompose our 6. And we know that our six is made up of parts. One of it's parts is a one, and the other part is a five. We are now going to anchor our 9 to a one, allowing our students to anchor that to 10. Now our students are seeing you have 10 + 5, having more comfort seeing that 10 + 5 is 15. That's much more comfortable than looking at 9 + 6, an isolated math fact."

Greg Gutfeld goes on to say....

"9 + 6 is so scary that we must partner 9, anchor 10, and decompose 6. Partner, anchor, decompose. That's not math, that's a plot to Silence of the Lambs. Why don't you just add 9 + 6 for God's sake or memorize it? With this logic, if you teach me to fish, you have to first teach me to fly a kite."

So, in reality, the Chinese, 5 minutes ago say - !5! And America is stilling adding.... pitiful. That's worse than the dot counting they used when my daughter was in kindergarten.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 09-05-2014 at 07:35 AM.