View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Re: Did the Spirit contradict itself? Acts 21

Jesus told Paul he must suffer great things for his name. Acts 9:16

Much later it was still real to Paul.

Acts 20:22-24

22And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there: 23Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. 24But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

Everywhere he went disciples would warn him by the Spirit he was going to suffer. Just what Jesus told him. The saints always meant well. They would see visions or dreams of Paul suffering.

Acts 21:3-4

3Now when we had discovered Cyprus, we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: for there the ship was to unlade her burden. 4And finding disciples, we tarried there seven days: who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem.

Evidently they saw visions which showed him being harmed. THEY REALLY SAW THIS. They were thinking the Spirit showed this to help him turn aside and escape.

Paul thought it was confirmation of what he already knew. He would suffer greatly for Christ. Then Agabus prophesied over him.

Acts 21:10-12

10And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. 11And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles. 12And when we heard these things, both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem.

We know this was true prophecy, it came to pass. And it would SEEM Paul understood it more of warning that he would brace himself to the eventual outcome, but not to try to avoid it.

The saints were all hearing from God, amen? Then it comes down to WHAT MESSAGE was the Lord trying to get to Paul? "Your going to again suffer for me, I will be with you,proceed". OR "Paul this is the wrong place for you to be at this time so turn and go somewhere else".

Now that I have simply said what you already know the only thing I could think of why maybe it was PAUL who missed the true meaning would be the unusual advice later given him by James and the things that followed. If so then we need to ask exactly why were James and the thousands of saints still practicing the temple sacrifrices?

And yet it would be hard to think that Paul may have missed the leading of the Spirit on anything.

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 01-19-2018 at 05:23 PM.