View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

Re: Was it God's will for Israel to have a king?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
We are discussing this today in the office...any opinions?
1 Samuel 8:5-9
And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations. [6] But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the Lord. [7] And the Lord said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them. According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even unto this day, wherewith they have forsaken me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee. [9] Now therefore hearken unto their voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto them, and shew them the manner of the king that shall reign over them.

The Lord told Samuel that they haven’t rejected you, but rather they rejected the Lord from reigning over them. They desired to be like other nations that were ruled by a king. That stayed with the nation of Israel even up to the point of Jesus on the cross.

John 19:15
But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar.

I believe its Gods will for him to lead us as a Husband leads his wife, and not as a king.

Looking forward to what others bring to the discussion.