Thread: Is This True?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Is This True?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiding Now View Post
The reason Cornelius and the Gentiles received the Holy Ghost BEFORE being baptized was because "the Brethren" that went with Peter "forbade" him to baptize them.

Act 10:44..  ..While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

Act 10:45..  ..And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 10:46..  ..For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Act 10:47..  ..Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Abiding, I have always viewed this passage as Peter not knowing what to expect when he went to see Cornelius and that it was the reason God filled them with the Holy Ghost, when they believed the word spoken concerning Jesus Christ. IOW, God confirming the prophesy that He would reach out to the Gentiles. (Isaiah 11:10; 42:6; 49:6)

The strong view of those present that these Gentiles must be baptized shows that what Peter preached in the upper room was the Gospel message to them and they followed it.

Did I miss where the brethren forbade Peter to baptize? I've never heard that before.