View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Re: UPC Resolution to Remove TV from Manual

Here is my history on TV.

I went to a church growing up that was moderate.

I remember quite vividly the preacher one day talking about television. THis was in the late 70s. He said, i know a lot of you have TVs and I am not going to ever make an issue of that. But I want to say some things on the subject. There are some good things and there are some things that just are not good.

If you are going to watch TV, you need to know there are some things that just are not good for your mind and heart and walk with God. Just because it is on, doesnt mean you should watch it.

He went futher and said he suggested that we not watch two shows, 3's Company and Sanford and Son. He gave solid reason, first 3C has men and women not married, but living together. (remember this was the 70's and not today) and Sanford and son had a charactor who was sacreligious.

It wasnt so much "dont watch these shows" as it was "this is the kind of thing you need to look for".

This has always been the guide my family has used. it was sound teaching and not some "touch not" stuff that leads to people incapable of making sound decisions.