Old 09-14-2021, 03:27 AM
Administrator

Re: If You Are A Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
The gates of hell?? The grave??
Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
The gates of Sheol, or the gates of hades?
Yes, correct.

Matthew 16:18 uses the Greek word hades, commonly translated as "hell" throughout the New Testament (one of three such Greek words so translated, the others being gehenna and tartaroo, and yes, it means the grave, or place of the dead, and corresponds to the Hebrew term sheol.

Matthew 16:18 (NASB),

Quote:
18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
So, when I say the world has gone, or is going, to hell, I do mean it with that understanding. That is, the world, is dead, or is dying. Take your pick.

1 Corinthians 7:31 (NASB),

Quote:
... for the present form of this world is passing away.
So, the church has an opportunity here, because the gates of hades cannot prevail against the church, meaning the church has the power and ability to bust down the walls, as it were, that keep people locked up in their spiritual graves:

John 5:21-25 (NASB),

Quote:
21 For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes. 22 For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, 23 so that all will honor the Son just as they honor the Father. The one who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him. 24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, the one who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. 25 Truly, truly, I say to you, a time is coming and even now has arrived, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
The voice of the Son is supposed to be heard, in the world, through us.

God manifests His logos through preaching (Titus 1:3). The Logos Made Flesh abides in the Body and speaks through the Apostles and Prophets, that is, the foundation of New Jerusalem.

If that Body will rally around Christ and become one with Him as He is one with the Father, then the world will know that God truly sent His Son into the world to save it.

The church world needs repair and restoration so that it can complete her mission.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/

Last edited by votivesoul; 09-14-2021 at 06:04 AM.