View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

Re: Where did the early church meet? Houses or Chu

Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? (Acts 7:48-49)

What about that meeting place? If we look into Scripture we will see the early church met in homes. This idea is truly Biblical. It is a practice that the church needs to return to. Some have and more are following. I would like for you to consider this Biblical concept of the church meeting in the homes of believers.

The idea of church in homes is a new concept to many in twenty-first century America. Yet, this concept had its origin in first century Christianity. Jesus himself taught and ministered to many people in the comfort of their homes. Scripture is full of examples of Christ healing, teaching, and ministering in private homes. As we look into Scripture we can see from the very beginning the home was a place for worship and I believe the Lord set it up to be that way.

When the wise men came to worship Jesus Christ and offer him gifts it was done in the home of Joseph and Mary. Contrary to popular belief the wise men were not at the manger the night Christ was born, but came later (Matthew 2).

And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. (Matthew 2:11)

As Jesus grew and began his public ministry it took him many places, and the Scriptures give us ample examples of Jesus preaching, teaching, and healing in private homes.

And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples. (Matthew 9:10)

And again he entered into Capernaum after some days; and it was noised that he was in the house. And straightway many were gathered together, insomuch that there was no room to receive them, no, not so much as about the door: and he preached the word unto them. (Mark 2:1-2)

Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. (Luke 10:38-39)

When the time came for the Lord to hold the Passover which turned into the Lord’s Supper he also chose to hold it in a private home. He could have chose some place that had a religious significance; however he chose to celebrate it in a common ordinary house, and by doing so Jesus Christ gave his approval for the church (ekklesia) meeting in homes.

And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples. (Matthew 26:18)

We can see from these verses of Scripture Jesus preached, taught, and healed people in private homes. There are many other examples in the gospels of Jesus Christ ministering and teaching in private homes.

Jesus spent three years teaching and training his apostles to carry on the work he began, and when he sent them forth after his resurrection they began by meeting in homes.

In The Book of Acts (which is the history of the early church) we can clearly see the early Christians met in private homes. The New Testament Church was born at Pentecost, and it began in the “upper room” of someone’s home.

And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. (Acts 2:1-4)

Jesus could have chosen some other place for them to meet and pour out His Spirit like the temple in Jerusalem or a synagogue but he chose a home.

After Peter preached the first message of the New Testament era three thousand souls were added to the church in a single day, (Acts 2:41) and there was no attempt by any of the apostles to build a “Church Building.” Rather the early church would meet in the temple court yard and in private homes.

And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart. (Acts 2:46)

As the apostles continued preaching and teaching the things concerning the kingdom of God five thousand others believed, and where added to the church (ekklesia).

Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand. (Acts 4:4)

Shortly after (Acts 5) the Bible says “and believers were the more added.” The word of God refers to the more added as “multitudes both of men and women”. Yet, the early church (ekklesia) continued to meet in homes of people.

To be continued...