View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Re: UPC, ALJC, PAW, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud View Post
It could be that whomever presented it didn't open the bible, but rather told stories of yesteryear. It would be easy to interpret "no bible reference" as "no scriptural foundation." I have heard many a sermon during which the minister read a single verse, yet preached for an hour. He might have been right, but it wasn't because of his single, unrelated scripture reference.
Hometown guy, I think, misunderstood what I had written. You may have seen my response to him. I was not claiming that I had great knowledge. I did listen intently to my pastor and friends. There were standards that were only supported by basically one passage (pants on women and uncut hair for women, e.g.). That didn't seem like a strong scriptural foundation. It struck me that since these standards so separated the church members from the larger culture it would seem like there would be multiple passages to base the standard on. At any rate, I deeply respected those I had come to know in those early days and admired their willingness to be separate from the world.