View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
The Scripture indicates that He did, because he admonished Mary not to touch Him at that point "because i am not yet ascended to My father."

Later, He did invite Thomas to touch Him, which seems to indicate that He had ascended.

My personal opinion is that when Mary saw Him at the tomb, He was on His way to offer His own blood on the mercy seat in the Heavenlies in His role as High Priest.

The ascension is Acts was what Jesus referred to when He said, ""If I go not away, the comforter will not come."

The same Apostle who recorded those words also gave us the words you referenced in John 7.

So that had to be the glorification John was talking about.
But wasn't Mary also w/ this group of women, in Matthew 28???

8And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word. 9And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Would embracing his feet be in effect touching him???

Did Jesus indeed say not to touch him or not to cling/hold him for too long?

A writer on the topic states:

"This is no doubt because the Scripture passage in question" is "known in its Latin Vulgate version as "Noli me tangere," or "Touch me not."

The meaning of the original Greek in the New Testament here, though, conveyed a meaning more like "Don’t hold on to me," or "Don’t cling to me"—which Mary Magdalene, in her impetuosity and great joy at recognizing Jesus alive after what had seemed the irreparable loss of Good Friday, evidently attempted to do. (Again, we know from Matthew 28:9 that the women embraced, touched, the feet of the risen Jesus when they saw him for the first time). Some modern versions of the New Testament such as the New American Bible and the Revised Standard Version accordingly translate the passage as, "Don’t cling to me," or "Don’t hold on to me," having dropped the word "touch" entirely.

That is why he gives as the reason why she should not hold him that he had "not yet returned to the Father." As Mary Magdalene no doubt well knew, along with the other disciples of Jesus, Jesus had promised before his crucifixion, "A little while, and you will see me no more; again a little while, and you will see me" (John 16:16)"

For Jesus had also said that he was "leaving the world and going to the Father" (John 16:28)—that is, that he was "returning" to the Father, as he again told Mary this time around. He had also, of course, promised the disciples as well that he would send the Holy Spirit "to be with you forever" (John 14:16).

Lastly the Greek demonstrates this point even more clearly in John 20:17.... Jesus uses the word "hapto" when speaking to Mary ....

Hapto - to fasten to, adhere to
  1. to fasten fire to a thing, kindle, set of fire
Could the offering you speak of, Coonskinner, have been done before his encounter w/ Mary?

Also I see no reference to the term ascension or glorification in John 7 .... nor the term ascension being referred to in John 17 .... just a statement the Christ had not yet been glorified.