View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 01:32 PM

Re: Healing Scriptures

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
When Jesus said "forgive them" talking about the people who were in the very process of crucifying Him.

I often think of this when I am irate at someone.... I either think of it or He is gently "reminding me".

Of course, it's not about healing in the physical sense....
More from the article on being healed by His stripes:

Do we see the apostles use this as a guarantee for their sicknesses or afflictions. Paul mentions Christ being crushed for our sins in the communion service, but he has nothing to say about healing (using phrases taken from atonement Scriptures). This verse is cited twice in the New Testament. In Romans 4:25: where the context is Jesus suffering for our sins. The Greek term `healing' ( therapis from the Hebrew rapha) is not found in the text and the context deals with sin, not illness.

1 Pet. 2:24: "Who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness-- by whose stripes you were healed..

Peter In 1 Pt.2:21-24 applies this to the cross and the spiritual healing of sins, he says nothing about the healing of diseases in our now mortal bodies. So we see that both New Testament references to this verse do not mentions illness.

While Isa.53:5 says we are healed, Peter refers the stripes to being on the cross (not before) and says by whose stripes you were healed, making it past tense. Showing when event was accomplished. It is related to our spiritual healing of sins not physical well being. To further solidify the context of this interpretation Isa.53:6 speaks of us as sheep going astray. 1 Pt.2:25 also uses the same format, "as sheep gone astray but now returning to the shepherd of our souls. Today he heals through his death, the atonement and through his present ministry of intercession.