View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Re: Day at the range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post
I like the 40 myself.
I think my daughter is partial to the SW 357. She also love the SKS!

I have been taking some of the youth out to the range and teaching them safety and marksmanship. They have loved it and so have I! There is a great deal of satisfaction teaching concepts and then watching them learn and seeing what they themselves are able to do! Their eyes light up when they see the holes in the paper! Instant gratification and they love it! I am using two 22 rifles. One is bolt action with open sights the other is magazine fed with a cheap scope from China - hey it was an inexpensive rifle! LOL! Soon I will take them skeet shooting with a Dbl Barrel 20 gauge. That will be a blast! After they are comfortable with all that I will let them use a 30 30, the 40 pistol, and a 12 gauge. There is nothing like seeing those kids eyes light up when they put one in the bulls eye even if they are not yet consistent.
That sounds great!

My old pastor (he is still there but we left the church when we moved from AZ to WI) has regular youth events at the range and even bought one particular hard working kid his first 9mm (don't know what brand) as a "thank you!" gift for all the hard work he does at the church.

We/they also hold a regular annual "sports night" which we use as both an outreach (it is HUGELY effective) as well as something for fathers to do do with their sons. When I saw "sports" I'm not referring to baseball, football, or tennis, but specifically hunting, fishing, camping, and firearms in general. Girls are definitely welcome of course but the main thrust of the event is reinforcing "manhood" and allowing boys, and men, to be boys -and men.
(We DO encourage ALL members of the family to hold a certain proficiency in firearms apart from the sporting aspect of it.)

Last edited by RandyWayne; 07-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.