View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Re: Ladies Meetings & Theme's

One way to come up with themes is to use yearly events, national holidays, and seasons of the year for inspiration. Valentines Day, Christmas, New Years, Halloween, Mothers Day, Easter, etc., etc. can be used as events to build a ladies meeting on. So can Fall, Spring, Summer and Winter. You can get inspiration from so many things. Then when you get the inspiration for a theme or focus, build the rest of the meeting around that theme or focus - everything from a group activity that involves all the women to refreshments, decorating for the meeting, and a message, etc.

I've done so many different types of meetings through the years and always include a time of worship, prayer and at least a devotional message or some other type of message in each meeting.
  • One meeting I showed the ladies how to set a proper table, different ways you can decorate a table, included some etiquette instructions and had a guy come in and give a Chinese cooking demonstration. Then we got to eat it after.

• I built a meeting around the theme of "Friendships of Women". That was really great.

• Have a "tea party" - and do it Victorian style.

• You can have lots of fun with an "Easter bonnet" theme. We did that one time and the women had to come with a hat - preferably a handmade original. During the course of the meeting they voted on "best hat" or most original or funniest or whatever.

• Prayer breakfasts are another wonderful way to structure a ladies meeting. Have a breakfast buffet, speak or have someone else speak on an aspect of Prayer. There are lots of different ways to pray together as a group. I used to have tables set up and then at the end of the meeting, each table of ladies would gather in their own individual circles and pray for the needs represented within that group.

• One September I had a Baptist pastor's wife from our town who had 3 sons who had all won Canadian Gov. Gen. awards and full scholarships to University come in and talk to our ladies about how to help your children become good students.

• Use a discussion panel approach. I've assigned a topic, and asked 4 - 6 ladies each take a portion of the topic, speak on it for 5 minutes or so and then had specific questions given out to some of the ladies to ask to generate discussion.

• Fashion shows. These are always popular!

• Mothers Memorial meeting to kick off getting a good offering for MM.

Lots of different ways to go! Womens meetings can be a great way to reach women who don't usually come to church.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)