Thread: Corn
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Re: Corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
Any experts in raising corn?

I understand you are suppose to dress them after they get so tall? with something to make them greener?

Although I'm certainly not a learned horticulturalist (far from it), however, I have been growing GMO Corn (Mirai Supersweet) for the past three years with reasonable results. I have found little difference in growing it versus other types of Sweet Corn. I plant about 10,000 seeds (with a side dressing of nitrogen fertilizer) and sell it in my roadside produce stand. Mirai Sweet Corn seems to have become the produce which brings the same customers year after year, for it is so remarkably sweet many even eat it without cooking.

Besides making sure that my corn patch remains as weed-free as possible and receive adequate water, about the only task I don't cherish about growing corn is removing the small off-shoots (called "suckers") which can adversely effect growth (not to mention an on-going battle with Raccoons who seem to know precisely when Sweet Corn attains maturity & try their best to beat me to the harvest).