View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Re: NT verses about who Jesus was/is

[Jhn 1:1-5 NKJV] 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

John is starting with creation: "in the beginning."

In the beginning was the Word -> God would first express with words his will, e.g "Let there be light"
the Word was with God -> The manifestation expressing the utterance was working together with the Spirit of God creating things. It was a sequence of Word -> Miracle, Word -> Miracle. That's the way God wanted to do the creation: speaking the Word first, expressing his will and therefore his nature first.
the Word was God -> the expression of his will with the spoken words was done by God himself.

That spoken Word kept expressing God's will, nature, desires, etc..., the same way that when we speak words, we express our will, nature, desires, etc...:

[Gen 3:9-10 NKJV] 9 Then the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, "Where [are] you?" 10 So he said, "I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself."

That Word kept coming to human beings expressing God's will, nature, desires for all of us, through the Torah and the Prophets. And that is light and has the power to bring life.

[Jhn 5:39 NKJV] 39 "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.

The Word became flesh -> Jesus is the expression of his nature, will, desires, the fulfillment of the laws and the prophets.

Note: I know some people try to explain this with the concept of Logos from the Greeks, but you can explain it with the Bible itself: John was a Jew. He may have used words from Greek but the concepts are present in the Bible itself.

Last edited by coksiw; 08-08-2019 at 01:59 PM.