View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Re: The Timing of Cornelius’ Baptism of the Holy G

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Martin Luther rejected the book of James. He didn't like it: "St. John' Gospel and his first Epistle, St. Paul's Epistles, especially those to the Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, and St. Peter's Epistle - these are the books which show to thee Christ . . . Therefore, St. James' Epistle is a perfect straw-epistle compared with them . . ." (Basic Theology, article "The Canon")
I don't believe I have mentioned Martin Luther or implied that I thought any book of Scripture is insignificant.

Quote:
You need to look at all the verses that talk about a topic before drawing a conclusion, otherwise you end up with the mental faith alone doctrine like Protestant do.
:-) And I would say that you need to look at all the verses about a topic as well. I have not suggested anything about a mental faith being all there is to it. I have talked about baptism as being similar to circumcision in that it is a sign and seal of faith. Someone can no more reject baptism than Abraham could have rejected circumcision. He was nevertheless justified "saved" before circumcision.

Quote:
More than that may be just us overthinking it or not looking at the full picture. I feel like if we get caught up in how many milliseconds of being lost while you obey the gospel is like trying to micromanage God in how he is dealing with the specific soul and the time he gives us to live and show our obedience to the faith.
I suppose if what I have seen in practice involved only milliseconds, i.e., someone comes up out of the water and begins to speak in tongues, then nothing may have struck me as problematic. However, this is not what is practiced in general. As I've said, trying to follow the Cornelius experience seems to be the preferred conversion experience, and in practice very often a significant amount of time elapses before water and Spirit baptism are experienced.