View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 07:30 AM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
Their oversea's missions training is crazy. They totally submerge into the culture they are going to. They are not allowed to speak any language but the language of the country. They attend class all day, and do work all evening.
That is not all too true. When they are in different area they mostly speak that native language, however, they do not stop speaking english. I have had some of my LDS friends go to an area and speak nothing but the local language for the two years and when they get back they almost have to relearn english. I have one buddy that went to a town in TX and spoke Spanish the whole time and when he went back home and had to relearn english.

You are right when you say they emerse themselves in the culture. But that is because it makes it a whole lot easier to get on the level of the people they are reaching to. It would be that same if a foreigner came here on a mission they would try and blend in well. The only exception are the areas that can present dangerous risks. I have on e buddy that went to Malyasia and his group reached all the way in to Iraq, but the white folks could not go in there do to danger. So they the locals that are LDS go into that area.