View Single Post
Old 01-25-2021, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Re: Musicianship query

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I have played both piano and organ in church and have written a few songs through the years, none ever published. I mostly enjoy playing the older hymns and choruses, and enjoy some of the newer music styles. I play by ear, and also can follow chord music, but have never had formal music lessons. I can read sheet music on a very basic level. Most of all, I love to worship the Lord, and many times I just sit at the piano and play, sing and pray.
I'm thinking of starting a songwriter's thread--I'm writing a project right now, tentatively called "Outcasts." These are songs written from the perspective of the people Jesus healed in the Gospels, but then you never really hear from them again. It's blues based, with an acoustic foundation. I've got partial demos I could link to, but I'm still new here, and I don't want to waltz in all hoity-toity and trip the collective gag-reflex. Not that my music would be objectionable, I just don't want to be that annoying person that shows up to open-mics and reads seventy-four reams of post-modernist poetry, either.

So far I've written songs from the perspective of

-The blindman Jesus healed on the Sabbath
-The leper
-The demoniac (Yes, it's possible, and possibly the best song I've ever written called, My last night in the Gadarenes.")