View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 08:17 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Forgiveness or Remission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post
Lol.
Am I to conclude from this that a Bible study is not forthcoming?

Let me provide a brief study for the readers.

"The Bible teaches there is NO DIFFERENCE between forgiveness and remission."

First, the word translated as remission is also translated as forgiveness. It is "aphesis":
G859
ἄφεσις
aphesis
Thayer Definition:
1) release from bondage or imprisonment
2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty
So when you see "remission of sins" you can just as easily say "forgiveness of sins", they are the same thing, according to the Greek.

They are also the same thing according to the English:
Remission
REMIS'SION, n. [L. remissio, from remitto, to send back.]
1. Abatement; relaxation; moderation; as the remission of extreme rigor.
2. Abatement; diminution of intensity; as the remission of the sun's heat; the remission of cold; the remission of close study or of labor.
3. Release; discharge or relinquishment of a claim or right; as the remission of a tax or duty.
4. In medicine, abatement; a temporary subsidence of the force or violence of a disease or of pain, as distinguished from intermission, in which the disease leaves the patient entirely for a time.
5. Forgiveness; pardon; that is, the giving up of the punishment due to a crime; as the remission of sins. Mat 26. Heb 9.

Forgiveness
FORGIV'ENESS, n. forgiv'ness.
1. The act of forgiving; the pardon of an offender, by which he is considered and treated as not guilty. The forgiveness of enemies is a christian duty.
2. The pardon or remission of an offense or crime; as the forgiveness of sin or of injuries.
3. Disposition to pardon; willingness to forgive.
And mild forgiveness intercede to stop the coming blow.
4. Remission of a debt, fine or penalty.
(Webster's Dictionary)
We can also see this from the Bible's usage of the two terms:
Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures, And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day: And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are witnesses of these things. And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
(Luk 24:45-49)
In Luke's version of the Great Commission, what is to be preached to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem, is "repentance and remission of sins in His name". Let's us look at how this was carried out by early church:
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
(Act 2:38)
Here, Peter preached repentance and remission of sins in the name of Christ, at Jerusalem, in the first post resurrection, post Great Commission sermon. Let's look at another example:
The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins. And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
(Act 5:30-32)
Jesus said they were to preach repentance and remission of sins. Peter preached repentance and remission of sins on Pentecost, and here in chapter 5 he is preaching repentance and forgiveness of sins. Clearly, they are the same thing. It is the same message.
Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:
(Act 13:38)
Here, Paul summarizes his message as preaching forgiveness of sins through Jesus. Repentance is implied in his message because of the warnings given in verses 40 and 41, and the promise of justification given in verse 39. But notice Paul preaches "forgiveness", whereas Jesus said to preach "remission". Of course, in reality, Jesus said preach aphesis, and Paul preached aphesis, as did Peter in BOTH the previously mentioned passages.

Let's look at some other passages:
And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
(Act 26:15-18)
Here is Paul's Great Commission. He is to be a witness, and a preacher. He is to preach on behalf of Jesus (in His name). What is he to preach? Why, "turning... from satan unto God" (repentance) and "forgiveness of sins". This is what Jesus said in Luke when He said "repentance and remission of sins." These two instances of the Great Commission show that remission and forgiveness are the same thing. (Especially since the Greek word used in both cases is aphesis, the SAME WORD.)

Let's look more closely at what Paul taught about both remission and forgiveness:
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
(Rom 3:24-26)
Paul speaks of redemption, the blood, and remission of sins here. But notice:
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
(Eph 1:7)
Here we have redemption, the blood, and FORGIVENESS of sins. See? They are the same thing. Christ's death provides redemption for us, the remission or forgiveness of sins.

(Note: the word "remission" in Romans 3:25 above is "paresis" which means a letting go or dismissal, and a remission of debts or sins, rather than "aphesis", which is simply a variation of the same word. Aphesis uses the prefix apo- which means "away from", paresis uses the prefix para- which in this case means away. The words are essentially synonyms.)

So in conclusion, there is no difference between "remission of sins" and "forgiveness of sins", they are the same thing.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf