View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 10:39 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Doctrines Based on Only One Verse or Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costeon View Post
What, if any, apostolic doctrines are based on only one verse or passage?

I don't recall which thread it was, but posters were debating the idea that a doctrine must be supported by multiple passages, in particular the validity of the idea that there must be "two or three witnesses." Those against that, I believe, said something to the effect that God only had to speak once for something to be valid. If this is so, what are these teachings that God only spoke once about?
Examining yourself before communion?

Footwashing?

Death and hell going into the lake of fire after Judgment Day?

Here's the problem: the Bible is divided into verses purely as a modern convenience (well, reformation/renaissance era convenience). So demanding "two or more verses" is silly. Why not two or more sentences? Or two or more books?

Also, a teaching on some subject may cover multiple aspects, discussed separately in different areas of Scripture. So for example women's headcovering is laid down across half a chapter in 1 Corinthians, but includes other statements in Numbers and Isaiah that provide additional details to give a more comprehensive view of the subject.

And, when an author spends several verses, paragraphs, a whole chapter, etc on one doctrine, that in itself is "Bible teaching" although it's "only one passage". The whole "two or more witnesses" trope in apologetics is really just a way of saying "I reject what the Bible says here, so show me where else it says it." It's a cavil.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf