View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

A Thought About Death - Please Respond

Hello Everyone,

I understand that many people choose to avoid discussing death. It’s a reality of life that many of us (myself included) would love to avoid. This year I’m turning 40 years of age, and I couldn’t help thinking that I’m getting older (sigh).

Many years ago I started studying what occurs after death. Many of us were taught as children that we immediately entered heaven after death. However, after reading scriptures, I began questioning that theology.

I remember staying up one night studying that subject and entering a mode of “panic.” I remember being at an AFF member’s home and discussing the subject too. I remember sitting at his table and heard god speak to me. He said, “just trust me.” After hearing those words, peace immediately entered my mind and the anxiety began to leave.

However, I have always remained curious as to what happens after death. There are many scriptures that could reinforce different opinions, and for that reason I really never study the subject. I guess I'm confused. I was thinking about it today as I sit at my work desk, and a scripture popped into my head. I thought I would share it here and see what remarks it receives.

Paul states in 1 Corinthians 15

29 - Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them?
30 - And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour?
31 - I face death every day—yes, just as surely as I boast about you in Christ Jesus our Lord.
32 - If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised, “Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”[d]

I want you to notice Paul’s comments in verse 32. He pretty much sums it up by saying, if there’s no resurrection, let’s pretty much party because we’re dying soon. His comment implied that if there is no resurrection, we’re pretty much doomed.

Now, if we do enter heaven immediately after death, why did Paul feel a sense of doom if there was no resurrection? I mean, if we entered heaven immediately after death, who cares about a resurrection, yes?

What saith the forum?

Last edited by BrainWashed; 01-08-2019 at 10:44 AM.