View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 03:37 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Marriage Privatization:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Esaias, would you say that the following is true regarding marriage licenses?
- Having a marriage license requires a couple to go before the civil courts to dissolve their union should they decide to end their marriage.
- It also places the Christian marriage under the same unbiblical legal statutes that recognize gay marriage.
- It requires pastors to act as agents of the state.
Many Christians, do not believe in going before unbelieving courts to settle legal disputes (including divorce) based on, I Corinthians 6:1-8. Therefore, they believe that to become entangled in a legal system of this world, that doesn't even manage marriage biblically, is in violation of both Scripture and conscience. And many pastors are having reservations about being licensed "agents of the state". Many states also have statutes on the books that prevent state licensed ministers from performing purely religious marriages. They see this as a violation of religious liberty, and a way to control what unions a pastor might choose to bless.

While I agree with you, there is quite a bit of "patriot mythology" out there, these concerns are legitimate. Are they not?
If you are in a state recognized marriage - including a "common law" marriage - divorce procedures are the same, whether you obtained a license or not. There is no "common law divorce" to my knowledge. A couple who get married via common law, and who then split apart on their own terms, with no courts involved, CAN be subject to bigamy charges if either of them remarry. Again, if the state recognizes your marriage as valid, then divorce via the courts is the only state recognized way to dissolve the marriage (excepting death).

ALL marriages that are recognized by the state as valid, including Quaker or common law marriages, are under the state's laws regarding marriage rights, property rights, and divorce decrees, etc. NOTHING CHANGES by not having a license or by not filing a certificate with the state.

If the state does NOT recognize the marriage, then as far as the state is concerned you are not married, period.

The reason NOT to get a license and file a state marriage certificate is purely idealogical, to make a statement that you believe the state has no authority to forbid marriage or allow marriage. It CAN have consequences in case one partner dies unexpectedly (probate here you come) and it MIGHT have consequences for filing taxes.

BTW, we've always filed jointly as husband and wife yet I have NEVER shown ANY agency a copy of our marriage certificate except I think an insurance company to establish beneficiary rights. And I'm not even sure about that. lol

Its like not having a high school diploma. I got a GED and NEVER have had to show it to ANYONE except when signing up for college.

It all depends on how much of a nuisance you want to be. I know guys who drive around with no insurance, no vehicle registration, and homemade "Republic of Texas" license plates. They know the score, but have an Idea they want to stand for, so they rolls the die and takes their chances. They've been doing it for YEARS and still do. (I think the local po-po just ignore them, too much paperwork lol.)

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf