View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Mexican Food Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
PO, that recipe sounds awesome. I have been using tomatillos now in almost every Mexican dish I fix, they just add such a great flavor.

A couple things I would do to make it *less* fattening.

One, I am buying corn or flour tortillas that have extra fiber in them, which helps them to not be as fattening - a good thing!

Two, I would not fry the tortillas in oil, but simply use a heated Teflon pan and heat the tortillas until softened. They still roll up wonderfully being heated like this, and way fewer calories!

I have never tried the Mexican cheese, often look at it in the store, but never buy it. I may have to try the Mexican cheese with these enchiladas and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

And I too miss our dear sweet Cindy so much!!
I never fry my tortillas in oil. I rarely use the microwave, but I do soften them in that, wrapping them in a paper towel for less than a minute.

I like to use Monterey Jack with my Enchiladas, and it is almost the same thing. I believe the Mexican cheese is like an unaged Monterey Jack.

I'm going to pick up these ingredients tomorrow. I'll let you know how the dish goes. My jalapenos are starting to produce - big plus for me!