Thread: Bible Study
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Bible Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
What do others on here use for home bible studies?

My parents used Exploring God's Word. I've also seen Search for Truth. Are there any others which are comparable, or even better than either of these?

Looking to use these as an introductory Bible study for people who have either never been to church, or are new converts.
I try to do as follows:

1. Overview of structure of the Bible (brief, takes about 5-10 minutes, includes a basic chart/visual aid). Old vs New Testament, Law, History, Wisdom/Poetry, Major/Minor Prophets, Gospels/Acts, Epistles, Apocalypse.

2. Fundamentals of Bible study: Daily reading plan; Chapter study (things to look for - commands, promises, warnings, examples); Where to start (discussion on which book to begin with); Dealing with difficulties and the importance of congregational study combined with asking questions of more experienced saints. Includes a 1 chapter example study (do it with them, let them find commands, examples, etc, answer questions as needed, but encourage them to find the information in the text itself - remember, not looking for our opinions but "what does the text say").

3. If they are unconverted, can have them decide on a topic, then you build a concise study on that topic but designed to lead them to making a decision. If they are brand new converts, then either 1 Corinthians or Romans makes an excellent basic course in fundamental doctrine.

4. Also, new converts need a brief presentation of why and how to pray regularly (I reference everything from scripture concerning when, how, and what to pray as individuals, families, and with the congregation). You will need to model prayer with them and encourage them to pray during the study time, lead by example, that sort of thing.

5. Every study should conclude with an encouragement to determine 1-3 things in the student's life that need to change based on what was studied ("How can I put what I've learned into practice, now?" etc). Following study times should include a questioning like "Have you been successful in implementing what was learned last time? What difficulties have you encountered?" etc along with everyone praying for each other's diffi ulties, successes, failures, etc. As teacher you will have to participate on equal footing in this regard (you will be doing the same things you are teaching them to do, etc).

I tend to favor the teacher developing their own studies tailored to the individual(s) being taught rather than just buying a study from a publisher. I also favor a "stump the chump" session (!) where students can ask any question, and if teacher doesn't have answer he must write it down and research it for next study time to give a solid Bible answer.

The goal is to develop personal study habits, personal prayer habits, personal change in lifestyle to conform to scripture, and equipping for more effective participation in congregational prayer and worship as well as training to disciple others, by example.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf