View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Re: Do we have to pay tithes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
By the way brother they are not the same Greek word! 5:3 "Honour widows that are widows indeed." This honour is "timaō" or "τιμάω" meaning "to estimate, fix the value, to, honour, to have in honour, to revere, venerate." But in 5:17 the honour there is "timē" or "τιμή". Which means "a valuing by which the price is fixed."

So what are you going to do with that? And where is the post about the moral law? I can't find it. I already know what the truth is because "God, performs His word with signs and wonders." And I have no complaints, because I am a co-laborer to Him.
The same word has slightly different meanings as described by Strong's Concordance. The honour due the widow is to prize, to fix a valuation upon; by implication to revere, honour, value.

In the example of the elder who serves well deserves double honour the definition is Strong's Concordance 5092; a value, ie money paid, valuables; by anal. esteem (especially of the highest degree), or the dignity itself:-honour, precious, price, some.

The semantics are slightly different as you would expect, one being an elder man who rules or oversees well, the other being an older woman who is verified by her service.

In either case the honour is very similar, both being esteemed, both being assessed a value and both being honored.

The difference in the definition being so slight that it did not show up in the translation into English may be merely the semantics that are involved with one of the subjects obviously being male and the other female. There would have certainly been a difference that would have been the result of the cultural and even scriptural difference that applies, even as it does today.

It is likely, in my opinion, that both were possibly eligible to receive assistance from the church as well as the esteem, honor etc.. The obvious difference is that there is a relationship numerically. Whatever the meaning of honour, the widow is worthy of half as much of it as the elder, or the elder is worthy of twice as much as the widow. This relationship is mathematical.

Another common factor in the valuing of the two is that Timothy was to exercise judgement as to whether they were worthy. The widow that is a widow indeed and the elder that rules well. By implication, there will be widows that are not widows indeed, as well as elders that rule poorly, these would not be worthy of honour or double honour. this would, of necessity imply that the honour would not be automatic.

I hope this helps. The post on moral law is #203.

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 04-20-2018 at 02:03 PM.