View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Re: No applications from Scripture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
So, in other words, verses must be understood not only in their immediate contexts, but also in the context of the entire Bible. Correct?

Which means that applications of Scripture to current situations can and must be made, BUT they must be made in light of the entirety of Scripture, and thus not "taken out of context". Amen?
Just so. Exactly right.

Quote:
Actually, the immediate context of the verse is those people, in that time. Just like in the Jeremiah passages. But we have additional Scripture which indicates the passage has additional application to people outside that immediate historical context. Again, just like the Jeremiah passages.
Yes, that is the immediate context (those people) but that immediate context contains nothing in it that would limit it historically to only those people. The verses in Jeremiah, however, have that limitation, as already explained.

Quote:
The example is not an application of the text, but a twisting of the text and a denial of the plain statements of the text, so of course that "application" will be in error.
Yes, the twisting of the text occurs, because the context is misconstrued (diminished, broken). The text indicates the people were without food. To say otherwise is the twisting. However, the historical context of the Gospels shows us a Jesus Who had supernatural power to perform the miraculous. To strip the passage of the miraculous in order to get a merely mundane application is not simply twisting the verse, it's also tossing the context of the person and power of the Son of David described in the text.

Quote:
I understand what you are attempting to prevent (misapplication of Scripture) but I honestly think your statement(s) to the effect that a passage has one historical application only (unless there is some sort of "universal principle" in it) was too broad. And speaking of finding a universal principle in a passage, exactly how does that work? As far as I can see, we can look at a passage to see what it reveals about God's character, and we can examine the rest of Scripture to see if we see that character trait repeated, and can then conclude that the original passage reveals a universal principle.

Can you state your understanding of this subject as a "hermeneutical rule" that Bible students can follow?
Another time, perhaps. I am not sure how codified and articulated it is in it's current form, that is, how I see it in my own head. It's more a working paradigm or walking thesis of which I believe the theory is absolutely correct and the philosophy sound. But it would be a noble pursuit to write it on tablets so God's people can run...

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/