View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Not riding the train

Re: New "common core" curriculum in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
You just proved my point.

Do you honestly believe the public schools in "X" inner-city to be on par with the public schools in "X" very prosperous county?

Do you think the public schools in Texas or New Mexico are on par with the public schools in Maryland or Rhode Island?

I didn't even try to compare Mississippi to any other state...
I know that when I homeschooled, I was using Saxon Math. My daughter wanted to attend public school (which we allowed her to do) and they were using the same program.

At home, we finished the lessons in one hour or less. In public school, they had a 45 or 50 minute class, and she was bringing home the same math to do at home. How does that happen? What do they do for 45 minutes? How was she able to understand the instructions and complete the lessons at home, but didn't understand after 45 or 50 minutes of whatever they were doing in the public school system? It seems a huge waste of time to me.

There is no excuse for any public school to be behind when you already know what needs to be learned. Everyone knows what is required on a Scope and Sequence. What are they doing with the children that is not allowing them to be educated?

Why are black high school students behind the white kids in middle school? Why are not black leaders crying out about this? It makes me mad and I am not black. Educated people make better citizens and they make better neighbors and it gives every life dignity.

Why are the successful charter schools being axed by Mayor DeBlasio? I'm with one of the parents when she said, "How dare you, Mayor DeBlasio! How dare you!" He is in bed with the progressive union leaders and this current Administration.