View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 AM
On the road less traveled

Re: Heirloom organic non-GMO seeds vs Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I have been toying with the idea of planting a 4' X 4' garden.

The idea is to build a wooden box on the ground and fill it with a mixture of:

* Blended Compost
* Peat Moss
* Coarse Vermiculite

I had not given any thought to the seeds I would use though, and now you have given me something else to think about.

I would like to grow tomatos, cucumbers and maybe melons.

The main problem I have is that my yard has a ton of trees, bushes, plants and shade. I have yet to figure out what spot would get the optimum amount of sun.
I have been wanting to build an above ground box too. There is a book called Lasagna Gardening, which shows you how to go about building a garden in a box, lasagna style (with the different layers resembling lasagna, hence the name). You can probably check it out at your local library.

Tomatoes need full sun, really, as do cucumbers, and melons. If you have a lot of shade at your house, perhaps you could look and see if there is a community garden in your area where you could have a garden. More and more communities are doing this. There is one in our small little town. Or, if there is not one, perhaps you have a neighbor, friend, or family member, who has a better spot to garden, and wouldn't mind you using their area to garden. I know of people who do this as well. Just some things to consider. Sunlight is really important for the garden, as well as good soil. But, if you feel you have too much shade, it wouldn't be worth all that effort to try to garden in your yard, without the sunlight.