View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

Shifting Your Spiritual Paradigm

Paradigms
Defined- A typical example; an example that serves as a model; in the philosophy of science, a generally accepted model of how ideas relate to one another, forming a conceptual framework within which scientific research is carried out.

In other words, we can say that a paradigm is the model, or the framework of perception, by which we live our life. It is the basis by which we perceive things to be the way that they are.

We all live within our own paradigms. Physical; Emotional; Intellectual; Financial; Spiritual.

At times in our lives our paradigms will be altered by some event or circumstance. Something will occur that totally changes the paradigm of the way that we view certain things in our lives.

In the book “7 Habits of Highly Effective People”, the author, Steven Covey, talks about the importance of paradigm shifts. He gives the illustration of a man and 3 small children on a subway train in New York City. The children are creating havoc in the subway car as their father despondently stares off into space. Finally, an irate passenger gets the mans attention and asks him to please get control of his children. The man looks up and says “You’re right. They are out of control. I am sorry, my mind is elsewhere. We have just left the hospital where their mother died an hour ago.” Instantly the paradigm is shifted and we view the out of control children in an entirely different light.

Life is full of these small events that impact the larger way one looks at life. We all have them. Paradigm Shifts have occurred, or have attempted to occur to each and every one of us. Those times when we have thought things were a particular way and then something occurs that totally changes our perspective. From that point forward we never view things the same way again. These paradigm shifts occur in both our natural lives and in our spiritual lives.

These spiritual paradigm Shifts are what God intended when the Word says in Romans 12:2 “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

In other words, everything that happens will have an effect upon us. It is up to us to make sure that the effect is the one that God intends and not one of our personal desire and choice. Indeed, without a shifting in our spiritual paradigms as we grow and mature we will stagnate at one level of spiritual development and never mature into the person God intended.

The Word of God is full of people who had to experience paradigm shifts in their own lives in order to do the will of God: Abraham, in interceding on behalf of Sodom and Gomorrah, pleaded with God until his paradigm was altered; Moses, upon realizing God would destroy Israel had to shift his paradigm; and probably none is more significant than that of the rebuilding of the Temple.

At the end of the Babylonian captivity, the Jews return to Jerusalem. Cyrus, the king of Persia, declares that God has instructed him to build the Lord a house in Jerusalem. The people begin the work of building such a house. They know that it will be the House of the Lord. They understand that it will be a House of Worship.

The significance of such a structure is not lost on them. Indeed, it is not something which they take lightly. The people unified themselves together to do the work that had to be done. It is interesting to note that the first thing that was built was the altar. And thank God for that. Without an altar of sacrifice and offering then the church is not a real church. Heaven help us to never lose the importance of an old fashioned altar.

Ezra chapter 3 then tells us of the laying of the foundation of the House of the Lord. The priests gathered all of the materials and the workmen together. The priesthood is appointed to sing and to worship after the ordinance of David as the foundation is being laid. The people of God are standing by and watching this entire work take place.

As the foundation is formed and built the priests begin to worship and play and praise God. The people join in the worship of God for what is happening.

But then, the Word gives us a very interesting portion of scripture. It says the people shouted together with a great shout. Verse 12 “But many of the priests and Levites and chiefs of the fathers, who were ancient men, that had seen the first house, when the foundation of this house was laid before their eyes, wept with a loud voice; and many shouted for joy.”

In other words, there was an incredibly mixed response taking place. Some were rejoicing and shouting; Others were weeping and lamenting. The question then begs “Who had the right response?” Was it the younger ones who were rejoicing? Or was it the older ones who were weeping?

I contend that they were both right and they were both wrong!

The younger ones were rejoicing over what the future would hold with this new Temple. Yet they had forgotten the foundation of the past that would allow them to even be able to build this Temple in the first place.

The older ones were weeping over what used to be. But they did not see the power of what God was presently giving them.

Both the young and the old needed a spiritual paradigm shift! Both of them needed to realize that it is not about the past or the future only!
We live in the here and now and God expects us to view our paradigms through what He is trying to do today! God was looking for a unity in their spirit for the things of God.

They needed to understand that one hand would always be tied to the past: That is where our true foundation comes from. Without it we have nothing to build upon anyway.

One hand will always be tied to the future: The future is where or hope rests. Without it we have no reason to build anything.

When you tie one hand to the past and one hand to the future, you will find yourself having balance. You will find yourself living right I the middle of the two. Which is exactly where God intends on us being right now, anyway!

Was it not at Calvary that Jesus Christ stretched out two arms? Did He not grab the past with one, the future with the other, and take care of our “right now”?

It is the right now that God is concerned with. He will create situations that will allow our paradigms to shift in order to bring us out of the past and out of the future into the right now.

The past is a great foundation; the future is just as great; but what are you doing with the here and now?

Haggai 2:6-9 “For thus saith the LORD of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land; And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts. The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the LORD of hosts. The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former, saith the LORD of hosts: and in this place will I give peace, saith the LORD of hosts.”

If all that happens is that the House gets rebuilt but God does not rebuild you, then all that you will have is a beautiful edifice. God has a work for the church to do today! Thank God for yesterday, but what about today? Thank God for prophecies of the future, but what about today?

Servant of the Lord, the hand of God is upon you! He is calling you to a spiritual paradigm shift.

Will you respond?