View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Industrial Hemp And Marijuana.

For the record, this is Gary Johnson's Drug Policy.

DRUG POLICY.
The reality is: Despite our best efforts at enforcement, education and
interdiction, people continue to use and abuse illegal drugs. I advocate
a Don’t Do Drugs policy. I don’t drink alcohol, smoke tobacco or use illegal drugs. But others in our society do. We mustn’t turn a blind eye to the obvious parallels with Prohibition in the 1920’s – and the lessons our nation learned. Prohibition was repealed because it made matters worse. Today, no one is trying to sell our kids bathtub gin in the schoolyard and micro-breweries aren’t protecting their turf with machine guns. It’s time to apply that thinking to marijuana. By making it a legal, regulated product, we can restrict its availability, curtail under-age use, cut enforcement/court/incarceration costs, remove the criminal element and access a multi-billion dollar underground economy. In the European countries where this strategy has been tested, under-age use has dropped – as has the crime rate. By managing marijuana like alcohol and tobacco – regulating, taxing and enforcing its lawful use – we will be better off than we are now. The billions we save on marijuana interdiction, along with the billions captured as legal revenue, can be redirected against the individuals committing real crimes against society. I do not favor the legalization and lawful distribution of harder drugs, but I believe their use should be dealt with as a health issue – not a criminal justice issue.

And this is Thomas Sowell's view, which is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZbHn...eature=related