View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Banned

Re: Apostolic Christian Libertarians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple4life View Post
O.K. I know I am not the only one. There are many different type of Libertarians. I agree with much of what is said. Less government, more jobs and more liberty. What I do not agree with is drug legalization or abortion.

How many Apostolic Christian Libertarians are on this board?
I'm a solid Christian Libertarian.

As for drugs... to me... pot is taking up too much focus and resources. I'd support legalization and regulating it like alcohol. I'm not for legalizing everything. The harder more dangerous stuff should still remain illegal. However, I do think our focus should be on rehabilitation, not incarceration (unless a violent crime is committed). Drug abuse should be handled as a public health issue... not a criminal act, unless it involves theft and or a violent crime.

As for abortion, while I believe that abortion is rarely justified, I also believe in the sovereignty of the individual person. A woman's body isn't a ward of the government and an argument can be made that to force a woman to give birth is to essentially turn her into a "breeder". Also, I don't believe that the GOVERNMENT is fully capable of always discerning circumstances wherein an abortion MIGHT be an option. Something like that is a deeply personal, difficult, and dark decision and should be between a woman, her doctor, and perhaps the immediate family. Life and death decisions are made every day. Government often complicates already difficult situations. Government also likes to take a personal tragedy and monopolize on it for political gain. If my wife were on the table and we had to weigh the option of abortion, I'd hate to have the GOVERNMENT telling us what is right for us and our child. God entrusted that child to us, and if there is a decision to be made... that is our sacred sovereign right to decide.

That being said... I DO believe that private efforts to curb abortions is perfectly warranted. Agencies specializing in adoption, assistance, abuse counseling, etc. should step up to help women in unplanned crisis pregnancies. There are private efforts that can be made to reduce unnecessary abortions.

As for marriage... I believe it should be a private contract between private individuals and the courts should only be involved in cases of egregious violations of said contract. Each marriage contract should therefore reflect the beliefs and convictions of the individual couple. Private marriage corporations could provide various networks for marriage validation. Some could be Catholic, some Protestant, some Muslim, some Mormon, some gay, etc. Get government out of marriage. Marriage law has turned marriage into a high stakes gamble wherein individuals often stand to gain more from a divorce than the marriage itself. Also, the one size fits all civil marriage structure is un-biblical with it's no-fault divorce clauses. Let each contract reflect the desires of the couple should they part and only involve the courts if the couple do not hold to their contractual agreements.

For me, the Libertarian approach maximizes liberty and places the moral onus and responsibilities on individuals. In my opinion, this is an approach I can live with.

Last edited by Aquila; 03-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.