View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Re: Holiness Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Good information.

True holiness begins with being honest with ourselves. Are we truly "sinless"? Does the inclination or inherent tendency to commit sin remain? Are there sinful things that we still find alluring?

If so, ontologically speaking, sin remains in us... even if not acted upon.
This is a tough subject. The challenge with holiness is that in every case it should be founded from within. The challenge is that man looks on the outward appearance while God looks on the heart. When we talk about holiness standards we almost always talk about things that are easily visible from the outward appearance; bobbed hair, make-up, sleeve length, etc.. All are discerned by physical appearance. Typically none of these require the gift of spiritual discernment.

I am in the camp that believes that holiness on the inside will manifest itself on the outside. I am also a believer that the spirit of the Pharisees will manifest if we become excessively legalistic. Where legalism is allowed to run rampant, hypocrisy (the leaven of the Pharisees) is certain to manifest itself IMHO.

Paul taught extensively on this subject, it is not cut and dried. His opinion was that when Moses was read (the law, or legalism), that the Spirit was not
allowed to flourish. However when the hearts of the saints turned to God, legalism would suffer. It is a matter of balance, IMO. I do believe that Apostolics in general, and UPCI in particular have become more conservative in regards to dress and jewelry in my lifetime, but this may just be from my vantage-point.

Aquila. I have to differ with you on temptation automatically leading to sin. Jesus was tempted in all ways such as we are, yet He was without sin. This says to me that it is possible to be tempted and not sin.

Just my thoughts.