Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Falla39's Avatar
Falla39 Falla39 is offline
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,358
Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

I posted this on another thread but felt to put it on a
new thread with a little added.


Is it possible that we can keep looking so far back that we actually can get "off track", or sidetracked? We can be riding on a train, bus or an automobile and as we go forward, we lose sight of what we left behind. For example, there are those who trace their roots, etc., back for generations. Then there are those who could not care less about who or where they came from.

I have written many things about our family in the several years I have been on FCF, NFCF and AFF. If someone has followed my writings (records) of my family, they know quite a bit about me today. Then there may be those who never found it worth the time or effort to listen to a word I wrote.

There are things I have learned from being trained up in an Apostolic Pentecostal home. We went to school to get a basic education. But in the home and church we were taught to love the Word of God and the words contained in it. We had examples of people in our lives that had received an experience with God and we knew by the time we were very old, that we too should receive the Spirit of God. Our parents were diligent in teaching we eleven siblings the Word of God. They also, just as Grandma, her sister, Aunt Lucy, and others, set godly examples before us in daily living.

What is important to me is that I can trace my roots to my paternal grandmother, who, a devout, Bible-reading, praying Methodist, lay on her deathbed, in 1926. A 28 yr old, wife, and mother of three, lay dying of typhoid fever. The doctor was there, my grandfather and my late father, who was 8 yrs old at the time. I did not witness this, but my father did. I also heard the story told to me by my late grandmother. The doctor told her husband (Dad heard it), "Tom, Lizzie's dying. See the blue on her feet and legs!". As she lay there dying, she breathed a sincere prayer, "LORD, if you would see fit, let (allow, permit) me to live to raise my three children!". She lapsed into a coma, to awaken the next evening. Her fever had broke, she was hungry and thirsty. GOD had heard and answered my dear grandmother's prayer. She not only lived to raise her three children, but lived to hold my firstborn, plus her firstborn. That would be my first child and her firstborn son. August 1983. Grandma died Oct.1984, just 20 days before her 87th birthday.

A few years later (7 yrs), the message of Pentecost came their way. It was the message Peter preached on the day of Pentecost. Acts 2. Although a denominal church member for 21 yrs, she searched out this new (to her) teaching, found it to be in the Word of God, believed and obeyed it, along with her eldest son, who by now, was between 14 and15 yrs old. He was my late father.

So why should I cloud my mind with everything and everybody through the centuries since that first century. I can trace my own family from the time that the message of hope and truth came to Grandma, Dad and Mom, etc., we eleven siblings,(who every one without exception, received the Holy Ghost, was baptized in Jesus Name and received the Holy Ghost, speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gave the utterance. Our six adult children, with each of their original spouses, and their children (those old enough to believe) have also received this same experience that Grandma received in 1933. We are to the fifth generation now, with most in every generation receiving this same experience. The sixth generation has begun, but she's only two yrs old, but in June, there will be another of my great grandchildren. As one generation lies down, another generation arises. Some lines or generations end, because they have no one to replace them.

The Holy Ghost still gives POWER to OVERCOME sin, and to BECOME WITNESSES. Could it be while some are distracted with things that don't matter, they could and should be witnessing about what Jesus said would make them HIS WITNESSES! I have enough PROOF that agrees with that FIRST CENTURY CHURCH to know that I don't have to know every detail of everything accomplished or not accomplished since then.

Within ourselves we have nothing to boast of! All GLORY, PRAISE and HONOR goes to the ONE who made it possible!

Phil. 3: 13,14
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

What I HAVE WITNESSED in my 72 yrs, has been enough to convince me that I want to be a WITNESS OF HIS MAJESTY!!

Falla39
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Falla39's Avatar
Falla39 Falla39 is offline
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,358
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

The Prophets prophesied of the coming Messiah. After Jesus came, and at about thirty yrs, began his ministry, He went to the Cross, was crucified, died and rose again. and after teaching the chosen apostles, he ascended back up where he came from.

God sent His Son into the world that whosoever believeth in him would not perish but have eternal life. God didn't send His Son to condemn but that the world through the Son, might be saved. Those who take the Son gets everything. I John 2:23 "Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. God was
IN Christ...! Spirit was in humanity. Christ in us, the Hope of glory.

Now to those who have obeyed the words of Jesus to his apostles. They obeyed and passed them on to us. Jesus told his disciples, "The words I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life. Sounds pretty important to me.

The plan of salvation is so simple even a child can understand it. Acts 2 is for whosoever will come to the water of Life freely.
Jesus said that after they had received the Holy Ghost, they would have POWER. Power over sin, Power to witness.

Falla39
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Falla39's Avatar
Falla39 Falla39 is offline
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,358
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
The Prophets prophesied of the coming Messiah. After Jesus came, and at about thirty yrs, began his ministry, He went to the Cross, was crucified, died and rose again. and after teaching the chosen apostles, he ascended back up where he came from.

God sent His Son into the world that whosoever believeth in him would not perish but have eternal life. God didn't send His Son to condemn but that the world through the Son, might be saved. Those who take the Son gets everything. I John 2:23 "Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. God was
IN Christ...! Spirit was in humanity. Christ in us, the Hope of glory.

Now to those who have obeyed the words of Jesus to his apostles. They obeyed and passed them on to us. Jesus told his disciples, "The words I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life. Sounds pretty important to me.

The plan of salvation is so simple even a child can understand it. Acts 2 is for whosoever will come to the water of Life freely.
Jesus said that after they had received the Holy Ghost, they would have POWER. Power over sin, Power to witness.

Falla39
BUMP!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Lafon's Avatar
Lafon Lafon is online now
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 822
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
BUMP!!
Falla39, I am persuaded that when one elects to place ALL of their faith in the things which the sacred Scriptures disclose as the truth about ALL things, then God will honor that faith and reveal to them whatever they ask of Him. Not so for those whose faith is in the words of other mortals like themselves.

Simply stated, regardless of the love, respect or admiration which one might hold for another [be it a parent, brother, sister, wife/husband, or child], and seek God, alone and only, for the understanding of ALL things, then they will be rewarded beyond their wildest imaginations.

In expressing these things, I am able to state that I speak from experience. Many years ago, following countless hours in seeking to ascertain the merits of the many things which others had told me to be the truth, and being met time and time again with nothing but frustration, I fell to my knees and cred out to God, asking Him to tell me the truth. And He did! Oh boy! Has He ever! And I shall be eternally grateful to Him for that.

Jesus has instructed us ~ "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:31-32 KJV) What more can I say?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Falla39's Avatar
Falla39 Falla39 is offline
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,358
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafon View Post
Falla39, I am persuaded that when one elects to place ALL of their faith in the things which the sacred Scriptures disclose as the truth about ALL things, then God will honor that faith and reveal to them whatever they ask of Him. Not so for those whose faith is in the words of other mortals like themselves.

Simply stated, regardless of the love, respect or admiration which one might hold for another [be it a parent, brother, sister, wife/husband, or child], and seek God, alone and only, for the understanding of ALL things, then they will be rewarded beyond their wildest imaginations.

In expressing these things, I am able to state that I speak from experience. Many years ago, following countless hours in seeking to ascertain the merits of the many things which others had told me to be the truth, and being met time and time again with nothing but frustration, I fell to my knees and cred out to God, asking Him to tell me the truth. And He did! Oh boy! Has He ever! And I shall be eternally grateful to Him for that.

Jesus has instructed us ~ "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:31-32 KJV) What more can I say?
Bro. Lafon,
Many years ago while going through a storm of confusion like I had never gone though before, I sought God for an answer! In time the following passage of scriputure was pressed on my mind so strongly that I can quote if from memory today. It has come to mind many times and has been a tremendous encouragement to me. I felt as if it was speaking to me personally, instructing me what I was to do in the midst of the confusion. The bolded told me what to do.

2Timothy 3:12-17

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Paul knew young Timothy's background included a faithful grandmother, Lois, and mother, Eunice. He felt assured that that same faith, etc. was also in Timothy. Paul knew that Timothy's father was a Greek, and evidently not a believer. Paul mentored Timothy as a spiritual father.

Falla39
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Apostolic Pentecostal


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3,376
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

Sis. Falla, I do agree with you that our knowledge of this doctrine being preached in the intervening years is not necessary. However, the historical context facinates me and others. This is why I am always facinated by the possiblities that exist.
__________________
I am an Apostolic Pentecostal. Apostolic in teaching, and Pentecostal in experience.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Falla39's Avatar
Falla39 Falla39 is offline
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,358
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Sis. Falla, I do agree with you that our knowledge of this doctrine being preached in the intervening years is not necessary. However, the historical context facinates me and others. This is why I am always facinated by the possiblities that exist.
Bro.Jay, could you explain a little more clearly what you are saying here.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 AM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Apostolic Pentecostal


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3,376
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

I am sorry if my statement was unclear.

I understand that we do not need historical documentation of the Acts 2:38 message being preached from 250-1901 for the message to be true. However, I am fascinated by history, and so would enjoy having documentation that would show this message being preached from the days of the Apostles until now.

I hope that helped. (I have a bad habit of knowing what I am saying, while completely confusing anybody who is listening/reading what I was saying.)
__________________
I am an Apostolic Pentecostal. Apostolic in teaching, and Pentecostal in experience.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Falla39's Avatar
Falla39 Falla39 is offline
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,358
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I am sorry if my statement was unclear.

I understand that we do not need historical documentation of the Acts 2:38 message being preached from 250-1901 for the message to be true. However, I am fascinated by history, and so would enjoy having documentation that would show this message being preached from the days of the Apostles until now.

I hope that helped. (I have a bad habit of knowing what I am saying, while completely confusing anybody who is listening/reading what I was saying.)
Yes, thank you! I hear what you are saying. In my previous posts, it was never my intention to say that history was of no benefit. When that lone little grandmother simply heard, searched out and promptly obeyed the New Covenant plan of salvation, that our own history was in the making. What blessings have come to our family, who have followed on to know the LORD.

Bro. Jay, my late father said it was reported that approximately 1500 people came from far and new to hear this new message, in their tiny town. BUT compared to the number who came, there were few who obeyed. My own grandparents and my late father, who was 14 yrs at the time, went OUT OF CURIOUSITY to hear the man preaching on the street corner and inviting people to his outdoor revival. They went out of curosity, as did many others. Grandma, a Bible reading praying Methodist, and church member for 21 yrs, heard a message she had never heard before. At first she got mad, and set out to prove that preacher wrong. I believe she searched with an open, honest heart. In her "searching out", she found that what the preacher had preached was in the Bible. She felt cheated that her own pastor had not told them about this part. Her own mother was a charter member of the Methodist church for 48 yrs. Grandma was the youngest of five children.

I am SO THANKFUL that Grandma listened to that old white-haired street preacher. He had a VALUABLE message. Five generations of our family have benefited from her decision. Thank YOU, LORD, that in 1933, Savoy, Tx had their time of visitation. The Apostolic Pentecostal church is the largest church in that still small town today.

The gospel has spread far and near from that small beginnng. The faith AS A tiny mustard seed, sown in the heart of one little woman and her young son, has spread far and near in the earth. I COULD SAY SO MUCH MORE!


Falla39
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Apostolic Pentecostal


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 3,376
Re: Jesus, The Apostles and Present Day Witnesses

My own family history is rather more colorful, but I represent the fourth generation as my great-grandmother was the first in our family to obey this message. There are more than a few tragedies that occured from that day to this, however I am thankful that she heard and obeyed the truth. On my mother's side, one of my great-great-great grandmothers was a member of the AoG.
__________________
I am an Apostolic Pentecostal. Apostolic in teaching, and Pentecostal in experience.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who was present for the ascension of Jesus? jfrog Fellowship Hall 2 02-24-2011 02:13 PM
Present Day Apostles BeenThinkin Fellowship Hall 8 03-10-2010 12:37 PM
Were the apostles ever baptized in Jesus' name? jfrog Fellowship Hall 47 02-05-2010 10:34 PM
Would Jesus And The Apostles Recognize The Church Scott Hutchinson Fellowship Hall 73 07-08-2009 10:05 PM
Were tithes ever required by Jesus or the Apostles? COOPER Deep Waters 200 06-20-2007 11:06 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by houston
- by Timmy
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.