Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Breakfast with a Former Trinitarian

I wanted to my share my morning experience with you all. I have a friend whom I have known through work for the past 5 or so years. I actually am closer with his brother than him, but we have gotten to know each other in the past few years, and have always been friendly towards one another. We'll call the brother Darrin and the guy I'm having breakfast with Carl. Carl and I have probably eaten together about a dozen times over the course of 5 years or so, spoken on the phone another dozen times, and took a daytrip with him and his brother (work related) a few months back.

These guys were both raised in trinity Pentecostal churches that had exuberant worship and even speaking in tongues. They now attend a local non-denominational mega church that will baptize you in any way you want, has several services on Sunday with different music styles to appeal to young and old, and has a pastor that preaches barefoot (that last one was for you EB). I've actually attended a service there on a Saturday night. Awesome production and music, beautiful building and a semi-decent bible message.

Anywaaaaaaaaays, to make a long story longer...... I've been talking to these guys about oneness and baptism in Jesus name for 5 years now. Especially with the other brother Darrin (the one that I didn't have breakfast with this morning). Darrin even came to a youth rally that I preached, and experienced an awesome move of the holy ghost. Well, today I found out that Carl has just recently started attending another local oneness church and he received the Holy Ghost and was baptized in JESUS name!!!!!

It was so awesome to get to now share this experience with him and discuss the scriptures that he now UNDERSTANDS because he has felt IT! We had an awesome conversation about why Christians like he USED to be don't understand what we're talking about. HE said it's because they've never FELT it and so can't UNDERSTAND it! He told me that right away he was very direct with his brother. Needless to say, his brother didn't take it well. He was offended because Carl is telling him that he has something that Darrin doesn't have. I tried to guide on the language to use when you're witnessing to a person that believes they are already saved. We talked about a deeper and more meaningful walk and experience with God. At the end, we agreed to continue praying for his brother and the rest of his family that will see revelation and accept it.

Just wanted to share this story to encourage someone today. Don't give up on people. Carl's journey out of Church-ianity took 8 years. Now that he's felt the true Holy Ghost though, he'll never go back.

I feel like running a lap and knocking a door!

God bless,
Old 06-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Breakfast with a Former Trinitarian

beautiful testimony, definitely the icing on the cake
Old 06-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

You said he received the Holy Ghost in the new church he attended.
But you also said he was speaking in tongues in his former church?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
From the way I understood it, he said these gentlemen were attending a Trinitarian Pentecostal fellowship that had ceased lively worship and even speaking in tongues. If this is the intended implication, then the word exuberant, which means lively, is the wrong word here.

Of course, I could be wrong.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Forgive me, I don't know all the details as I've only known him for about 5-6 years. He mentioned that the church he GREW UP in had those things, but that a new pastor came in that didn't believe in the gifts of the spirit. He's been bouncing between churches for the past 10 years or so.

It was my understanding that he hadn't ever spoken in tongues, but that he was familiar with the practice. He did say even though his childhood church had those things, there is a different feeling in his church now. In fact, he became convinced what we have is real because he could feel it when he attended a Sunday night service.

Take that! you liberal penny-costals that want to only have one service on Sunday!
Old 06-13-2018, 09:56 AM
of 9!! :)

So wonderful to read this testimony!
May God continue to use you TD!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Ok, I misunderstood the post.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingDominion View Post

Take that! you liberal penny-costals that want to only have one service on Sunday!
I guess I don't understand this neither.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess I don't understand this neither.
That, my friend, was just a light hearted joke.

As far as misunderstanding the post. A friend of mine who was previously baptized in the titles and accepted the Lord as his personal savior, that I've been witnessing to, saw truth, received it and is now a Holy Ghost filled, tongue talking, born again Pentecostal.

I hope that clears it up.

Praise Him!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingDominion View Post
That, my friend, was just a light hearted joke.

As far as misunderstanding the post. A friend of mine who was previously baptized in the titles and accepted the Lord as his personal savior, that I've been witnessing to, saw truth, received it and is now a Holy Ghost filled, tongue talking, born again Pentecostal.

I hope that clears it up.

Praise Him!