Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Re: "A rose by any other NAME would smell as sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Pretentious may at times be a reason for some. Yet, the ecclesiastical reason behind using Hebrew words peppered into English, is due to Hebrew envy. The Jews being chosen people, plan A, and the Gentiles plan B. So, why speak like a Gentile, when you can speak like a Hebrew. Speaking words which you can't begin to pronounce or understand. But it all comes down to those who really don't believe that Jesus spoke any Gentile language (like a Gentile language was pork) He is believed to of only spoke Hebrew. They will tell you that Jesus was never His name, that Christ doesn't mean anointed, there was no such thing as a J, and Hebrew is a Holy Language. That it was the first spoken in the Garden, and it is spoken in Heaven. But, what is really sad, is that some teach and believe that the entire New Testament was originally written in Hebrew. That what we currently read is a Hellenistic scribal botch job.
That is insanity. Do you happen to know how far back such 'thinking' goes? I honestly thought those I had encountered were just full of themselves. I had no idea there was a more extensive train of thought going into it all.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehud View Post
That is insanity. Do you happen to know how far back such 'thinking' goes? I honestly thought those I had encountered were just full of themselves. I had no idea there was a more extensive train of thought going into it all.
In this country probably since the Puritans. But in the 30s a Church of God preacher name of Clarence Orohrelle Dodd published material on Christians using Hebrew, Hebrew god titles, Hebrew special heavenly language. Dr. John R. Briggs met Mr. August Sheffick also produced material advocating Hebrew as the proper method of calling on God. Charles Taze and Judge Rutherford held a belief that a God name must be important to Christian worship eclipsing the name of Jesus. But, to back away from the chess board and look at all the pieces. One has to ask themselves why? Why is all this necessary? We find no where in the New Testament where we are admonish to learn or speak Hebrew, or Greek, or Latin? We cannot find where Jesus uses the word YAH, or that the word YAH is transliterated into the Greek. Paul doesn't use it, or tell anyone else to use it. So, the logical question to ask would be why??
Old 03-18-2019, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
So, the logical question to ask would be why??
Well, one would certainly think that should be the question asked.

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but didn't the Jews refrain from speaking God's name for fear of taking it in vain? If so, would that not be another strike against this insistence that we use a word that neither Jesus nor Paul uses? I mean, if it's their word and they don't say it, what possible basis can we have for trying to make it commonplace?

Thank you very much for the exchange, by the way. I have thoroughly enjoyed the lesson.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Well, one would certainly think that should be the question asked.

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but didn't the Jews refrain from speaking God's name for fear of taking it in vain? If so, would that not be another strike against this insistence that we use a word that neither Jesus nor Paul uses? I mean, if it's their word and they don't say it, what possible basis can we have for trying to make it commonplace?

Thank you very much for the exchange, by the way. I have thoroughly enjoyed the lesson.
The list is long Yahweh/Yahuah/Yahuwah/Yehowah, also long with Jesus' Hebrew guess name jumbles for His Hebrew name. Most would agree with Yeshua.

But as far as the Tetragrammaton (Greek for four letter word) we have a plethora of spellings and pronunciations. Yes, the Israelis, Judeans, as well as Medieval Rabbinic Jews frowned about placing vowels within the Tetragrammaton. The Hebrew verb YH/HYH means that I will be, or that I will become, or who I will become. The Rabbinical Jews just call God hashem meaning "the Name"

We know that name as Jesus the Christ.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The list is long Yahweh/Yahuah/Yahuwah/Yehowah, also long with Jesus' Hebrew guess name jumbles for His Hebrew name. Most would agree with Yeshua.

But as far as the Tetragrammaton (Greek for four letter word) we have a plethora of spellings and pronunciations. Yes, the Israelis, Judeans, as well as Medieval Rabbinic Jews frowned about placing vowels within the Tetragrammaton. The Hebrew verb YH/HYH means that I will be, or that I will become, or who I will become. The Rabbinical Jews just call God hashem meaning "the Name"

We know that name as Jesus the Christ.
As you alluded to earlier -- when mentioning His words and His teachings -- it certainly sounds like this all comes back to who He is, not what we call him. If I'm Portuguese, I call Him one thing. If I am Vietnamese, I call Him something else. The only matter of importance is who He is and what He taught. The rest can only cause division.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
As you alluded to earlier -- when mentioning His words and His teachings -- it certainly sounds like this all comes back to who He is, not what we call him. If I'm Portuguese, I call Him one thing. If I am Vietnamese, I call Him something else. The only matter of importance is who He is and what He taught. The rest can only cause division.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:54 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

The whole name game muddies the water in a pound that already can be precieved as murky. It can’t be understood by book, chapter, and verse. Because Jesus and the apostles never taught any such thing concerning a “special” language or a “special” name. Therefore the teaching comes in ways of disparaging the traditional name of Jesus. By saying it is Pagan, that it is actually the name of a pagan god. That the early Isralites and Judeans had prohibitions against foreign languages. That the New Testament was misinterpreted and watered down by removing its Jewishness, because of the Gentile language it was penned in. Instead of making things clear, and giving us more insight. They send us down a wrong path. It becomes the Gospel plus Hebrew, and Hebrew special name for God. One that some don’t push you to use, but if you discount it they will claim you are blaspheming it.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
They send us down a wrong path. It becomes the Gospel plus Hebrew, and Hebrew special name for God. One that some don’t push you to use, but if you discount it they will claim you are blaspheming it.
It would seem that one can't have it both ways. Either the name is *the* name, and it should be used at all times and revered lest we blaspheme it, or the name is *a* name and we're being a tad ridiculous by insisting otherwise.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
It would seem that one can't have it both ways. Either the name is *the* name, and it should be used at all times and revered lest we blaspheme it, or the name is *a* name and we're being a tad ridiculous by insisting otherwise.
Now that’s a post that say it the most!!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Now that’s a post that say it the most!!