Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-13-2020, 10:19 PM
On the road less traveled

Re: Valentine el Cheapo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Why!? Why did you do this?
You needed a good laugh, and maybe a good idea or two about tomorrow
Old 02-13-2020, 10:26 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Everything we do has some sort of pagan origin.
Who is this "we" you speak of?

Quote:
The pagans and the Jews/Christians have swapped traditions back and forth since Adam and Eve. Nothing new is under the sun.
You are correct, people have been mixing idolatry into the worship of God for a long time.

Quote:
That's my opinion of the whole mess. We can't change the fact that the days of the week, months of the year, time calendar, and everything else we do originates back to a pagan custom.
The days of the week are not of pagan origin. The NAMES are of pagan origin. Nobody is "celebrating the days of the week", or their names. There is a difference between simply referring to a day (or month) by its common name on the one hand, and voluntarily willfully (even knowingly) choosing to actively participate in a pagan RELIGIOUS HOLY DAY on the other.

And again, this "we" thing? Not everyone is practicing paganism, you know.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 02-13-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:31 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Funny how so many people who love God and have repented of the paganism and sin of the world, joyfully and gleefully celebrate just about every holy day of demon worship, but wouldn't be caught dead celebrating any day God Himself established as a unique day. I find that... interesting.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 PM

I am living every day as best I can, as unto the Lord. I desire to learn, and grow in the Word and in my relationship with the Lord. But I realize that even to the best of my ability, I may have doctrinal errancy. It is with a humble heart I seek the Lord to root out any of those things.

The Pharisees did everything to the best of their ability to follow correct doctrine, but what was lacking was their humbleness to admit they could be wrong, and they missed Jesus, the very one they were looking for.

Every day is the Lord's, and I seek to put Him first in all I do.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
The Pharisees did everything to the best of their ability to follow correct doctrine, but what was lacking was their humbleness to admit they could be wrong, and they missed Jesus, the very one they were looking for.
Actually this is incorrect. The Pharisees did everything to the best of their ability to find loopholes and reasons not to do what God plainly said to do. They missed Jesus because they were of their father the devil, not because of some personality defect.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Actually this is incorrect. The Pharisees did everything to the best of their ability to find loopholes and reasons not to do what God plainly said to do. They missed Jesus because they were of their father the devil, not because of some personality defect.
True that. But they still missed Jesus.

I don't want to get so caught up in getting doctrine correct, or finding loopholes, or whatever the case may be, that I miss Jesus in the process.

The spirit of Phariseeism is still alive and well today. There is nothing new under the sun.

Let us beware in our search and desire for correct doctrine (which is not a bad thing at all), that we don't get our focus more on the doctrine, than on our relationship with Him.

And I speak to myself in this as well.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:00 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Everything we do has some sort of pagan origin. The pagans and the Jews/Christians have swapped traditions back and forth since Adam and Eve. Nothing new is under the sun.

That's my opinion of the whole mess. We can't change the fact that the days of the week, months of the year, time calendar, and everything else we do originates back to a pagan custom.

So I'm going to live my life unto the Lord, redeeming the time, and the days for Him, in all I do. Every day is the Lord's.
You don't celebrate days of the week. This thread is about a day selected where the adherents perform special practices. Big difference then waking up and going to work on Odin's day. Or meeting with the church family for breakfast, and prayer on Saturn's day. We aren't making it festival celebration, giving of gifts, or special anything. It is a day, the day has names from old English, Norse, and Rome. Interesting though the choice of redeeming the time. It is followed with "for the days are EVIL. A little ecclesiastical Freudian slip?
Old 02-14-2020, 05:02 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
True that. But they still missed Jesus.

I don't want to get so caught up in getting doctrine correct, or finding loopholes, or whatever the case may be, that I miss Jesus in the process.

The spirit of Phariseeism is still alive and well today. There is nothing new under the sun.

Let us beware in our search and desire for correct doctrine (which is not a bad thing at all), that we don't get our focus more on the doctrine, than on our relationship with Him.

And I speak to myself in this as well.
Please excuse me, but the above really doesn't make sense.

How do you have a relationship with someone but don't do what they ask?

Puzzled in Fort Lauderdale.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I am living every day as best I can, as unto the Lord. I desire to learn, and grow in the Word and in my relationship with the Lord. But I realize that even to the best of my ability, I may have doctrinal errancy. It is with a humble heart I seek the Lord to root out any of those things.

Every day is the Lord's, and I seek to put Him first in all I do.
Pharisees did their best to change the definitions of what God actually meant.
They were trying to make God into their image.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Please excuse me, but the above really doesn't make sense.

How do you have a relationship with someone but don't do what they ask?

Puzzled in Fort Lauderdale.
Sounds like your writing to “Dear Abby”