Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Registered Member

Re: Change After Water Baptism?

I have been baptized three times.

My first baptism was in the Brethern church face down three times, in the name of the Father(splash) and the name of the Son(splash) and the name of the Holy Ghost(splash). I felt kinda good b/c I was doing all I knew to do as a Christian.

The second time I got baptized was in Olangapo city, Phillipines. I received the Holy Ghost at sea onboard an Aircraft Carrier in the middle of the Western Pacific. When we hit port I heard some of the guys were getting baptized and I had been feeling led to get baptized myslf so I asked if I could come along.

Either the Lay minister(Baptist) or the church(Baptist) believed in Jesus name baptism b/c they baptized me in the titles and in Jesus name. I am not making this up, I remember the Lay minister talking about the Jesus name part and there being some debate and stirring up either with him or the church. Anyways, I told him that I had just read in the bible that the Apostles baptized that way and said that I totally agreed with it. He didn't seem to believe me but I knew what I had read.

When I came out of the water I felt totally cleansed and great joy that lasted most of the night. As a matter of fact, I went out into the streets and spent the rest of the evening witnessing to the Phillipine people. I remember thinking to myself "why do I feel so good since baptism is just following Jesus example".

My last baptism was strictly in Jesus name b/c my Pastor said my second baptism was invalid. I didn't agree but did it anyways. I still wonder if it was necessary to be re-baptized again. All I felt was wet and was glad to get it over with.

So to sum it all up, I did have a spiritual experience my second baptism, but if hadn't I would still have been happy I did what the the bible said to do.

I guess soteriologicaly I would fall towards the 3 step argument of salvation and think the Bible agrees with me. In my humble opinion.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
study of salvation basically

Theology, study of God
Eschatology, study of prophecy
Oh, ok - thank you - learned something today
Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans 14:22 View Post
I have been baptized three times.

My first baptism was in the Brethern church face down three times, in the name of the Father(splash) and the name of the Son(splash) and the name of the Holy Ghost(splash). I felt kinda good b/c I was doing all I knew to do as a Christian.

The second time I got baptized was in Olangapo city, Phillipines. I received the Holy Ghost at sea onboard an Aircraft Carrier in the middle of the Western Pacific. When we hit port I heard some of the guys were getting baptized and I had been feeling led to get baptized myslf so I asked if I could come along.

Either the Lay minister(Baptist) or the church(Baptist) believed in Jesus name baptism b/c they baptized me in the titles and in Jesus name. I am not making this up, I remember the Lay minister talking about the Jesus name part and there being some debate and stirring up either with him or the church. Anyways, I told him that I had just read in the bible that the Apostles baptized that way and said that I totally agreed with it. He didn't seem to believe me but I knew what I had read.

When I came out of the water I felt totally cleansed and great joy that lasted most of the night. As a matter of fact, I went out into the streets and spent the rest of the evening witnessing to the Phillipine people. I remember thinking to myself "why do I feel so good since baptism is just following Jesus example".

My last baptism was strictly in Jesus name b/c my Pastor said my second baptism was invalid. I didn't agree but did it anyways. I still wonder if it was necessary to be re-baptized again. All I felt was wet and was glad to get it over with.

So to sum it all up, I did have a spiritual experience my second baptism, but if hadn't I would still have been happy I did what the the bible said to do.

I guess soteriologicaly I would fall towards the 3 step argument of salvation and think the Bible agrees with me. In my humble opinion.
Amen!

I could understand how apostolic pastor's would be concerned about a baptism that included the original method of Christ of in Jesus Name and mixing that with the Catholic trinitarian method.

fyi...

"The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Ghost by the Catholic Church in the second century." - Britanica Encyclopedia. 11th Ed., Vol.3, pp.365, 366; Also The change, The Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol.2, pp.263

Romans 1:25 - Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls...
Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldpaths View Post
Amen!

I could understand how apostolic pastor's would be concerned about a baptism that included the original method of Christ of in Jesus Name and mixing that with the Catholic trinitarian method.

fyi...

"The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Ghost by the Catholic Church in the second century." - Britanica Encyclopedia. 11th Ed., Vol.3, pp.365, 366; Also The change, The Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol.2, pp.263

Romans 1:25 - Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Or you could just ask the pastor to baptize, "In the name of the Father, Son and HG, the name of Jesus, the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord Jesus Christ."

That way you cover all bases.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U376977 View Post
Or you could just ask the pastor to baptize, "In the name of the Father, Son and HG, the name of Jesus, the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord Jesus Christ."

That way you cover all bases.
I'm not a pastor, but my opinion is that in the great commission Jesus was speaking to his disciples and they understood him best. I was not there, but the apostles were. And how did they interpret the great commission? Actions speak louder than words. How did they obey the great commission and how did they baptize in the book of Acts?

See the pharisees rejected John's baptism of repentance for the "remission of sins" and went about setting up their own righteousness and Jesus had the most problems with them.

Now look what the early Catholics did. They admit in writing in their own Catholic Encyclopedia that they changed NT baptism from the name of Jesus Christ to the titles. They rejected the real NT baptism from God which was in the name of Jesus Christ for the "remission of sins" and went about setting up their own righteousness. In doing so, they became just like the Pharisees...

Matthew 15:6 Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

1 Tim 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1 Tim 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1 Tim 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1 Tim 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

That's my 2 cents.

For me its not covering all bases like they are all possibilities and if you miss 1 you might go to hell. I'm okay with the original.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 PM
livefortruth

ABSOLUTELY! I felt a change all my sins were washed away. I knew it was all gone and it was a clean slate. Months later I recieved the gift of the Holy Ghost evidence by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gave the utterance as in Acts 10:46.

The path is straight and narrow is the gate, its acts 2:4 plus acts 2:38,
Old 04-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldpaths View Post
Concerning where the titles came from...

Catholic Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger: He makes this confession as to the origin of the chief Trinity text of Matthew 28:19. "The basic form of our (Matthew 28:19 Trinitarian) profession of faith took shape during the course of the second and third centuries in connection with the ceremony of baptism. So far as its place of origin is concerned, the text (Matthew 28:19) came from the city of Rome." The Trinity baptism and text of Matthew 28:19 therefore did not originate from the original Church that started in Jerusalem around AD 33. It was rather as the evidence proves a later invention of Roman Catholicism completely fabricated. Very few know about these historical facts.

"The Demonstratio Evangelica" by Eusebius: Eusebius was the Church historian and Bishop of Caesarea. On page 152 Eusebius quotes the early book of Matthew that he had in his library in Caesarea. According to this eyewitness of an unaltered Book of Matthew that could have been the original book or the first copy of the original of Matthew. Eusebius informs us of Jesus' actual words to his disciples in the original text of Matthew 28:19 "With one word and voice He said to His disciples: "Go, and make disciples of all nations in My Name, teaching them to observe all things whatsover I have commanded you." That "Name" is Jesus.

Matthew 28:19 - Eusebius of Caesarea (~275 – May 30, 339), bishop of Caesarea in Palestine and is often referred to as the father of church history because of his work in recording the history of the early Christian church Some 17 times in his works prior to Nicea (325 AD Catholic Trinitarian Council), Eusebius quotes Matthew 28:19 as "Go and make disciples of all nations in my name" without mentioning the Trinity baptism command.

The Catholic Encyclopedia, the Britanica Encyclopedia, the Catholic Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, Eusebius Bishop of Caesarea, Luke 24:47, the book of Acts, and Paul in 1 Cor 1:13-14 all testify as witnesses of the early Catholic's changing NT water baptism from the word of God to the words of men - from the name of Jesus Christ - to the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost

Notice that those who changed the truth of God into a lie, worship and serve the creature more than the creator - but notice they still worship and serve the creator

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

By 70-75 AD a New or NeoChristian Church was produced which was in a Greek dress of Hellenism and went on to become the Catholic Church - O.W. Heick, A History of Christian Thought, Vol. 1, Fortress Press, Pa., 1965, 1st ed., p.46; Adolf Harnack, What is Christiannity, NY, Harper, 1957, p.221

In John's life time, they started baptizing WITHOUT the name.

That is why in Revelations Jesus praised some churches for NOT DENYING HIS NAME. How could a church DENY his name? By removing it from NT water baptism and using the Catholic trinitarian titles.
This is good information. I taught a short sermon on this last night. People don't want to hear that the bible has man made scriptures in it. That doesn't settle well with them. But the truth of the matter is, Jesus never uttered those words (Baptize them in the Father, Son, Holy Ghost)

Rather than accepting that those words were added, we often find our leadership stating that this (Matt 28:19) was a prophecy that was fulfilled in Acts 2:28. That works... but it's not the absolute truth.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
This is good information. I taught a short sermon on this last night. People don't want to hear that the bible has man made scriptures in it. That doesn't settle well with them. But the truth of the matter is, Jesus never uttered those words (Baptize them in the Father, Son, Holy Ghost)

Rather than accepting that those words were added, we often find our leadership stating that this (Matt 28:19) was a prophecy that was fulfilled in Acts 2:28. That works... but it's not the absolute truth.
So we are to believe that God allowed a scripture to be inserted into the Holy Bible that has caused millions of people to be deceived, baptized incorrectly, and sent to hell? I'll confess that that idea really bothers me.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
So we are to believe that God allowed a scripture to be inserted into the Holy Bible that has caused millions of people to be deceived, baptized incorrectly, and sent to hell? I'll confess that that idea really bothers me.
And it should. I bothers me. The devil IS a liar, and we are to seek our own salvation with fear and trembling.

It's saddening to think that so many people are content with "the norm". Narrow is the way!

God's truth can never be tampered with!
Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
And it should. I bothers me. The devil IS a liar, and we are to seek our own salvation with fear and trembling.

It's saddening to think that so many people are content with "the norm". Narrow is the way!

God's truth can never be tampered with!
12Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Verse 13 seems to say that God is the one who will work in us to salvation if we are in him.

Also in light of Romans 8:30-34
30Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.
It is very hard for me to think, in light of the above passage, that God would pour out his wrath upon those that Jesus died for because of a technicality. I think at the very foundation we are still dealing with works based salvation here. So God sends his son to die and purchase his bride because we deserve death and his redemption work yet there is still a condition of getting a specific formula right that has been hidden from all Christianity. I just don't get it.