Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Truffles - I want to try them!

Has anyone tried these? I am really wanting to get some... $400 to $800 a lbs?!!? Gotta be a way to get some cheaper!

A truffle is the fruiting body of an underground mushroom; spore dispersal is accomplished through fungivores, animals that eat fungi. Almost all truffles are ectomycorrhizal and are therefore usually found in close association with trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truffle_(fungus)

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves

Last edited by Hoovie; 03-24-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Re: Truffles - I want to try them!

naw just try the chocolate ones.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 PM

I have already eaten the chocolate ones... Lol!

I have spent several hrs studying the fungi and watching hogs and dogs hunt them. I am fascinated!

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Forever Loved Admin

Get you a hog, or find a farmer that hunts them. Probably cheaper that way.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Yo Ferdmiester!! As our resident AFF chefster. want your opinion on the Truffels, please!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

yes they are awesome! you can get some idea of the flavor by buying Truffel flavored olive oil. much less expensive.

interestingly enough, Truffels have traditionally only been found in northern Italy and France (and some surrounding regions)

however they are now being cultivated in different places. I actually checked into this last year. What I found was that my land is too far south for growing Truffels. However if you have land in Arkansa or Missouri or some areas around that zone, you might be able to buy trees that have been innoculated.

Here is a link to a company (If memeory serves this is the group connected to the University of Oregon.

http://www.truffletree.com/
Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Also, there is an indigenous North American truffle called the Pecan Truffle. It is native to America and found near Pecan trees… hence the name…

It grows in the south so if you have land in the south, and you are interested that might be an option. The market for these has not really developed yet but I think in the next 10 years, it very well might take off as the “Eat Local” movement takes off and this is a new potential gourmet food item. I really think southern chef’s will go nuts for this if they become available with some consistency.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM

Thank you Ferd!! I have learned the University of Missouri is in a pilot Truffle project about an hour away from my house. Seems there has been some limited success in creating the right conditions and "plugging" the soil.

I can't wait. I am looking for a source to try these babies!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Thank you Ferd!! I have learned the University of Missouri is in a pilot Truffle project about an hour away from my house. Seems there has been some limited success in creating the right conditions and "plugging" the soil.

I can't wait. I am looking for a source to try these babies!
If I lived where you lived, and had some land, I would be planting innoculated trees!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
All Because Jesus...

...back when I was backslid and had a whole bunch more money, and was able to go to the types of restaurants that use these, I had a risotto that had them in it and it was amazing... Absolutely wonderful....