Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
conscience, entertainment, fantasy, holiness, video games

Old 06-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant's <3 View Post
While I readily admit video games can be a waste of time and they don't help your spiritual walk, they are not witchcraft. World of Warcraft is not witchcraft. I hope you all were being sarcastic.

I play video games from time to time. There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about playing video games. It is a form of entertainment and just like any entertainment one can go overboard and spend/waste too much time doing it. Video games are no more harmful than TV. It has been proven that some of them are far more educational and beneficial than watching TV as well.

Some video games are inappropriate and have a vast amount of inappropriate material in them that can hinder you. Not all video games are created equal.

As for Fallout, I am fully aware of what fallout is and what it entails... it isn't my particular cup of tea.... If the blood and gore can be turned off I would definitely advise doing so... I would not say Fallout is inherently evil although there are some things in it that to be honest I would very much question if a parent should let their child play it.... (then again I'm not a parent so I cannot speak from that standpoint) the game has a mature rating for a reason other than blood and gore... I'm somewhat confident there is cursing in it.

As my youth pastor would say, you put garbage in what do you expect to come out?

If you feel this game could be a problem for you, by all means do not play it. Some people can get addicted to video games or can be adversely affected by content in said game hence people should err on the side of caution.

But, no I would not say video games are inherently evil.
Warcraft kind of indicates that someone or something is getting killed?

I can't see Apostolic youth playing it and it being a good thing. The brother who comes to Bible study says he witnesses through the game? Still have no idea how that is achieved through a video game on line. I was told they are able to talk to other players? But if people are getting killed, by guns, arrows, incantation???? Plus ghouls? Magic jewelry? I don't know, but I think War Craft must be an indicator that something not Apostolic is happening. I have no time to talk about games with people who come to the Bible study, and the other people at the people study weren't interested in the brother talking about the witnessing through the video game. Time proves all things, if he keep attending I will find out more about World of Warcraft and how it pertains to godly living.

Thank you beardless for your enormous contribution to this thread and answering my questions.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

I could go into pretty much everything about world of warcraft... It is mostly a social game but there is definitely violence in it. I found world of warcraft to be a colossal waste of time and quit playing after a number of years. Played when I was in college.

I'm not going to get into video game addiction, but many games especially nowadays are designed to be as addicting as possible and make you want to play them.... World of Warcraft is such a game. There is a very social aspect to the game in that people many times are working together to achieve a common goal. Usually involving killing monsters/evil creatures/beings... However, the social aspect COULD be used for good as much as things like Facebook or pinterest can be used for good. If you desire to demonize video games you should demonize those others as well.

I advocate moderation as opposed to elimination. Others obviously can have other opinions.

If he reads the post good for him... if not meh... we can still have a discussion on the merits of video games. I would enjoy that seeing as some people apparently think I engage in devilry when I play something like simcity or civilization 5.

Last edited by Servant's <3; 06-09-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I could go into pretty much everything about world of warcraft... It is mostly a social game but there is definitely violence in it. I found world of warcraft to be a colossal waste of time and quit playing after a number of years. Played when I was in college.

I'm not going to get into video game addiction, but many games especially nowadays are designed to be as addicting as possible and make you want to play them.... World of Warcraft is such a game. There is a very social aspect to the game in that people many times are working together to achieve a common goal. Usually involving killing monsters/evil creatures/beings... However, the social aspect COULD be used for good as much as things like Facebook or pinterest can be used for good. If you desire to demonize video games you should demonize those others as well.

I advocate moderation as opposed to elimination. Others obviously can have other opinions.

If he reads the post good for him... if not meh... we can still have a discussion on the merits of video games. I would enjoy that seeing as some people apparently think I engage in devilry when I play something like simcity or civilization 5.

Demonize those others as well?

Well, isn't Facebook of the DEVIL?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 PM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Quote:
While I readily admit video games can be a waste of time and they don't help your spiritual walk, they are not witchcraft. World of Warcraft is not witchcraft. I hope you all were being sarcastic.

I play video games from time to time. There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about playing video games. It is a form of entertainment and just like any entertainment one can go overboard and spend/waste too much time doing it. Video games are no more harmful than TV. It has been proven that some of them are far more educational and beneficial than watching TV as well.

Some video games are inappropriate and have a vast amount of inappropriate material in them that can hinder you. Not all video games are created equal.

As for Fallout, I am fully aware of what fallout is and what it entails... it isn't my particular cup of tea.... If the blood and gore can be turned off I would definitely advise doing so... I would not say Fallout is inherently evil although there are some things in it that to be honest I would very much question if a parent should let their child play it.... (then again I'm not a parent so I cannot speak from that standpoint) the game has a mature rating for a reason other than blood and gore... I'm somewhat confident there is cursing in it.

As my youth pastor would say, you put garbage in what do you expect to come out?

If you feel this game could be a problem for you, by all means do not play it. Some people can get addicted to video games or can be adversely affected by content in said game hence people should err on the side of caution.

But, no I would not say video games are inherently evil.
I concur wholeheartedly. I've played video games since I was 5 or 6 years old (of course, back then it was "Super Mario Brothers" or "Burger Time"). As for the D&D stuff, that does not inherently imply demonic stuff. While - if taken literally - those things could lead someone into demonic worship, it is not inherently evil. It's a question of distinguishing reality from fantasy. Whenever someone mentions the "evils" of D&D, I like to replay this video.

Now, I will add this. If these things are a stumbling block to your relationship with God, then by all means, leave them behind. Just as with all stumbling blocks, however, they do not hinder everyone or affect everyone the same way.

My pastor has told about how he used to collect these western novels (some famous name I can't recall now). They weren't bad, but they were an issue for him because they distracted him from God. Those same western novels would not be a hindrance to others, but they became one for him, so he destroyed them all and left them behind.

Likewise with video games. If it doesn't affect your walk with God, then there's no harm in it. If it does, then there's a problem and you need to seek after God's will.

Last edited by Jito463; 06-09-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jito463 View Post
My pastor has told about how he used to collect these western novels (some famous name I can't recall now). They weren't bad, but they were an issue for him because they distracted him from God. Those same western novels would not be a hindrance to others, but they became one for him, so he destroyed them all and left them behind.

Likewise with video games. If it doesn't affect your walk with God, then there's no harm in it. If it does, then there's a problem and you need to seek after God's will.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:43 AM
J.esus i.s t.he o.ne God (463)

Yep, that was the name I couldn't remember.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Heyyyyyyyyyy now!!!!

Don't get on ol' Louis!!!!

That is next to Larkin and the Thompson Chain Reference Bible for clarity!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
Heyyyyyyyyyy now!!!!

Don't get on ol' Louis!!!!

That is next to Larkin and the Thompson Chain Reference Bible for clarity!!!
Notice I picked Utah Blaine just for you.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Notice I picked Utah Blaine just for you.
Does Tjjjj think he is Utah Blain?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterrey View Post
Does Tjjjj think he is Utah Blain?
Do you?