Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Re: Bott '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shephard View Post
There are really good sources that have confirmed this. But confirmations mean very little here on AFF. I don't slander.
Who's confirmed this, and where has it been confirmed?

I read DA's FB post, and didn't see confirmation there. He brought it up, but no confirmation has been given.

Last edited by n david; 01-27-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
You make a good point here. Perhaps Maxwell was referring to the type of minister who doesn't want to take responsibility and perhaps JA was defensive feeling as though it was a broadbrush toward those who have taken responsibility, having done all and stood.

Do you really curl your lip? I'm practicing that now. No, I never do that.

Agree with the bold!
No, I'm more likely to roll my eyes or press my lips together. It was just a euphemism for feeling disgust.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What JA said there is no excuse for. What about where he talked about the President? Rumors have it he called him a qu**r or f*g. He apparently also said something like "we have a black man in the White House and a white man in the fields" I don't know the context of that statement, but I can't fathom a scenario where it would be okay to say that - especially at BOTT where the Mangun's are friends with the Clinton's and with Hilary likely running for President next year that wasn't a good idea for JA to say something like that (if it is true). Also, he talked about gays and said very rude and horrible remarks about them. Called them horrbile terms akin to what he apparently called the President. JA has a long way to go to make this right across the board.
I can't fathom a scenario where that would be okay, either, but I'd have to see a transcript or watch/hear the sermon to believe it. That's more scandalous and offensive than the idiot comment, IMO, so it's very odd that there's no video to prove it as with the other incident.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 01-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Strange in a Strange Land...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Who's confirmed this, and where has it been confirmed?

I read DA's FB post, and didn't see confirmation there. He brought it up, but no confirmation has been given.
It's not on DA's post. It's in a group on FB. It's a private group.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
I can't fathom a scenario where that would be okay, either, but I'd have to see a transcript or watch/hear the sermon to believe it. That's more scandalous and offensive than the idiot comment, IMO, so it's very odd that there's no video to prove it as with the other incident.
I agree, but as I stated before there are people that have verified it. Anyhow... it's funny how it all is trying to be swept away...
Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It's not on DA's post. It's in a group on FB. It's a private group.
Well goodness, if it's posted in The Lounge, it must be true!

I'm with Miss Brattified, I find it really odd that the clip of JA calling another minister an idiot was posted publicly, but this alleged quote hasn't been. All we have thus far is a bunch of innuendo and allegations, which have supposedly been "confirmed" in The Lounge.

Last edited by n david; 01-27-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree, but as I stated before there are people that have verified it. Anyhow... it's funny how it all is trying to be swept away...
Being "swept away" isn't the same thing as trying to handle it in-house, which, by the way, IS the biblical method. The leaky faucet here is that the videos were posted publicly (I assume), which made the offense public. Ergo, it should probably be addressed in an equally public way (relatively speaking, since the general public probably didn't view the videos).

I object to spreading this beyond the scope of those who didn't know or were in no position to know what happened, and in that way, deliberately preventing containment. Public humiliation and castigation is the end goal; not any sort of resolution or wise correction. I mainly dislike the euphoria that some people seem to get from someone messing up or acting foolish. That's as disturbing as the name calling.

I'm not so disturbed by church people being aware that something went awry at a conference, but I don't really get the need to spill it outside the walls. I'm sure it will be addressed, especially if there's a lot of negative feedback.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Well goodness, if it's posted in The Lounge, it must be true!

I'm with Miss Brattified, I find it really odd that the clip of JA calling another minister an idiot was posted publicly, but this alleged quote hasn't been. All we have thus far is a bunch of innuendo and allegations, which have supposedly been "confirmed" in The Lounge.
Note everything good or juicy is caught on camera. You know that. Fact is that if JA said it how it was reported then it was caught on tape, but the POA has been editing the sermon for sell.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Being "swept away" isn't the same thing as trying to handle it in-house, which, by the way, IS the biblical method. The leaky faucet here is that the videos were posted publicly (I assume), which made the offense public. Ergo, it should probably be addressed in an equally public way (relatively speaking, since the general public probably didn't view the videos).

I object to spreading this beyond the scope of those who didn't know or were in no position to know what happened, and in that way, deliberately preventing containment. Public humiliation and castigation is the end goal; not any sort of resolution or wise correction. I mainly dislike the euphoria that some people seem to get from someone messing up or acting foolish. That's as disturbing as the name calling.

I'm not so disturbed by church people being aware that something went awry at a conference, but I don't really get the need to spill it outside the walls. I'm sure it will be addressed, especially if there's a lot of negative feedback.

Being swept away is the same as dealing with it in-house too. Ask the accuser in the Buck Treadway cover situation... wait. You can't. She died. So she wasn't vindicated because it was dealt with in-house for a long, long time. I am not saying what JA did was anywhere near the BT situation, but there was a coverup and there was a fall out. The ones dealing with it in-house could end up looking like they are sweeping it away if it isn't dealt with properly (whatever that is)
Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Note everything good or juicy is caught on camera. You know that. Fact is that if JA said it how it was reported then it was caught on tape, but the POA has been editing the sermon for sell.
But here's my problem. Outside of DA and The Lounge, this has not been mentioned....anywhere! TFT and others weighed in on the insult to the SG, and there were other tweets about that as well. Yet not one tweet about this alleged, very racist and disturbing comment. Not one.

Now, if people would tweet about JA calling another minister an idiot, don't you think they'd tweet about JA saying that kind of racial and incendiary comment? Not to mention, it would have offended many minorities who were sitting in the audience, as well as AM who has stood many times on the platform of POA and condemned any sort of racism, especially any in the church.

The complete and total absence of any kind of reference to the alleged comment makes me believe it's not true. POA may be able to scrub a DVD clean of the offending statement, but they don't control the internet.

Last edited by n david; 01-27-2014 at 02:36 PM.