Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Re: T. Wynn Drost fired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canam View Post
He is from Ethiopia, i said Pakistan, my mistake,sorry, native to Ethiopia, first convert in that country, during the Halai Salasi sic, reign ,Wendells were the first missionary's there.They were forced out by that regime ! during the 50's i believe.
Okay, I got ya now.
". . . as I suspect was true for those teaching Scriptures, I found that my students often felt they knew the Constitution without having really read it. They were accustomed to picking out phrases that they'd heard and using them to bolster their immediate arguments, or ignoring passages that seemed to contradict their views." Barack Obama in "The Audacity of Hope"
Old 11-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
As a southerner I love fried chicken.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Mr. Stewart

For the incredibly under-informed. It is standard and known operating procedure that missionaries, upon leaving their post, sell all SFC-type items and return the money to GM to be used for additional things. Personally, I believe there is a legal element. When these things are bought with money people have donated for specific purposes and received tax credits for, I don't believe it can be considered and used as purely personal items. These are not items that were purchased with the missionary's salary (which incidentally they have paid taxes on) for their genuinely personal use.

As to informing missionaries that he was no longer a missionary...again standard operating procedure. In fact, we receive notice when even any licensed minister is no longer licensed. It would be ridiculous to have fellow missionaries find out he was no longer a missionary gradually and through the grapevine. I think it's particularly telling that hundreds of missionaries apparently knew that he was no longer a missionary, but NOBODY HERE (including those who profess to be close to him) knew about it. I think that qualifies as keeping it in house. The tragedy is that now EVERYBODY knows something.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

There is no legal requirement that im aware of bro,i thinks its incredibly petty imo after 43 years and i hope he sent them a 100 bucks for each one,secondly they could have graciously allowed him to retire at 65 or even now at full benefits but again they got petty,where is the thanks for the sacrifice ?and the fact that they dint pull his license says its petty, otherwise pull the license,which they will probably do after they see this vid ,which makes them even more petty.

Last edited by canam; 11-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
For the incredibly under-informed. It is standard and known operating procedure that missionaries, upon leaving their post, sell all SFC-type items and return the money to GM to be used for additional things. Personally, I believe there is a legal element. When these things are bought with money people have donated for specific purposes and received tax credits for, I don't believe it can be considered and used as purely personal items. These are not items that were purchased with the missionary's salary (which incidentally they have paid taxes on) for their genuinely personal use.

As to informing missionaries that he was no longer a missionary...again standard operating procedure. In fact, we receive notice when even any licensed minister is no longer licensed. It would be ridiculous to have fellow missionaries find out he was no longer a missionary gradually and through the grapevine. I think it's particularly telling that hundreds of missionaries apparently knew that he was no longer a missionary, but NOBODY HERE (including those who profess to be close to him) knew about it. I think that qualifies as keeping it in house. The tragedy is that now EVERYBODY knows something.
Well that's all fine and good, but what about the Canadians?

I hear that they're burning their igloos in protest.
". . . as I suspect was true for those teaching Scriptures, I found that my students often felt they knew the Constitution without having really read it. They were accustomed to picking out phrases that they'd heard and using them to bolster their immediate arguments, or ignoring passages that seemed to contradict their views." Barack Obama in "The Audacity of Hope"
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Mr. Stewart

For the record, this is not about me disregarding or disrespecting what elder Drost has done and been. I'm just clarifying a few things. I think we all have to be careful about accusations and characterizations.

Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
Old 11-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
For the record, this is not about me disregarding or disrespecting what elder Drost has done and been. I'm just clarifying a few things. I think we all have to be careful about accusations and characterizations.
i agree and for the record ive not seen anyone on here say they were close. aquainted at one time yes, obviously no one on here has been hanging with him in mexico city for 22 years etc
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Mr. Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by canam View Post
There is no legal requirement that im aware of bro,i thinks its incredibly petty imo after 43 years and i hope he sent them a 100 bucks for each one,secondly they could have graciously allowed him to retire at 65 or even now at full benefits but again they got petty,where is the thanks for the sacrifice ?and the fact that they dint pull his license says its petty, otherwise pull the license,which they will probably do after they see this vid ,which makes them even more petty.ps you find out about unlicensed minsters in a mag that come out annually or whatever ,this was a letter to thousands? since we have over 30,000 worldwide ministers !
I'm sure any letter that would have been sent out would have only been to missionaries (under 200 ?). Also, I would not be so quick to rule out the legality of things. I don't believe we could actually really consider the things from SFC as truly personal. As to the license, there are a number of things that could make you unable to fulfill or continue to fulfill a special roll that would not rise to the level of disfellowshipping and stripping of license.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanas View Post
Well that's all fine and good, but what about the Canadians?

I hear that they're burning their igloos in protest.
they have to pipe the sunshine in
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sure any letter that would have been sent out would have only been to missionaries (under 200 ?). Also, I would not be so quick to rule out the legality of things. I don't believe we could actually really consider the things from SFC as truly personal. As to the license, there are a number of things that could make you unable to fulfill or continue to fulfill a special roll that would not rise to the level of disfellowshipping and stripping of license.
the unfortunate part of this is it will not be hidden forever ,it will be bandied about and eventually everyone will know !