Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Re: Whats The Point Of The Resurrection Of The Dea

Quote from William Tyndale.

William Tyndale, English reformer and Bible translator,
openly opposed the papal doctrine
of the immortality of the human soul -
calling it a heathen and pagan doctrine :
Quote:
"And ye - papacy - in putting them -souls- in heaven,
hell, and purgatory, destroy the arguments wherewith
Christ and Paul prove the resurrection. . . .
The true faith putteth the resurrection,
which we be warned to look for every hour.
The heathen philosophers, denying that,
did put that the soul did ever live.
And the pope joineth the spiritual doctrine of Christ
and the fleshly doctrine of philosophers together;
things so contrary that they cannot agree...
And because the fleshly minded pope
consenteth unto heathen doctrine,
therefore he corrupteth the scripture to stablish it. . . .
And again, if the souls be in heaven...tell me...
then what cause is there of the resurrection?"
- William Tyndale, English reformer and Bible translator,
An Answer to Sir Thomas More's Dialogue,
Book 4, Chapter 2
Tyndale was the the first to translate the Greek scriptures into the English language.

Here he was asking the same question I am asking today.

If we have an immortal soul what use is there for the resurrection?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Eternal life is the same as IMMORTALITY. Immortality is plainly given at the RESURRECTION.

I have to disagree with this statement because 'immortality' actually begins when you take your first breath and the soul is created. We are eternal beings from the time of our birth (not our conception); however, the body (house) that we inhabit is mortal, so it has to be resurrected or recreated - thus, He gives us a 'new body like until His own' as the Apostle Paul tells us.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rava61 View Post
Eternal life is the same as IMMORTALITY. Immortality is plainly given at the RESURRECTION.

I have to disagree with this statement because 'immortality' actually begins when you take your first breath and the soul is created. We are eternal beings from the time of our birth (not our conception); however, the body (house) that we inhabit is mortal, so it has to be resurrected or recreated - thus, He gives us a 'new body like until His own' as the Apostle Paul tells us.
Immortality at birth? Many scriptures witness concerning the death of the soul. That fact cannot be disputed.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Are You Ready To Fly?

Talking Re: Whats The Point Of The Resurrection Of The Dea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Quote from William Tyndale.

William Tyndale, English reformer and Bible translator,
openly opposed the papal doctrine
of the immortality of the human soul -
calling it a heathen and pagan doctrine :

Tyndale was the the first to translate the Greek scriptures into the English language.

Here he was asking the same question I am asking today.

If we have an immortal soul what use is there for the resurrection?
To get your glorified body!Simple,plain,what part don't don't you believe?
The Resurrection is to receive your Glorified Body.
John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counsellor to be with you for ever 17 The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Are You Ready To Fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Immortality at birth? Many scriptures witness concerning the death of the soul. That fact cannot be disputed.
Either way if the Man dies lost,whether he suffers eternity in the lake of fire,or is annihilated all together(which they are not)they will be forever seperated from God and from those who will live eternally in the kingdom of God.

Debating this is pointless,because in the end the lost souls will be dead to us in Heaven.This is the second death.

This is why we should be about the Father's work and spread the good news to a lost and dying world,so that as many souls can be saved from the second death.
John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counsellor to be with you for ever 17 The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Last edited by easter; 07-17-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

Whether the soul dies or not is of no real consequence to folks willing to serve the Lord.

My thoughts, anyway.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Rava,

Ive wondered myself for SURE at exactly what point we begin to have a spirit or soul(I do believe life begins at conception, so I lean toward at that time). What all do you base that conclusion off of your statement here?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 07-18-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Are You Ready To Fly?

Quote:

Soul means Breath but the life is in the Blood.I believe that at the moment of conception,God has created a new life,an innocent life.A Gift from God.
That's my thought,and I am WAAAY PRO LIFE!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Rava,

Ive wondered myself for SURE at exactly what point we begin to have a spirit or soul(I do believe life begins at conception, so I lean toward at that time). What all do you base that conclusion off of your statement here?
Before a child is born, the Old Testament law stated that if the unborn child was killed by two men fighting and hurting the pregnant woman nearby, the man who was responsible for the child's death must likewise die. Then the bible says eye for an eye, tooth for tooth and life for life. This means the unborn child is considered as much as live as an adult! To compare tooth for tooth is used to illustrate the unborn life is equal to that of an adult in God's eyes.
Exodus 21:22-25 KJV If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. (23) And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, (24) Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, (25) Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

LIFE in verse 23 is the same Hebrew word for SOUL!!