Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Go Dodgers!

We need to give people a healthy balanced gospel, not a strict list of rules and don'ts.

BTW Toni Braxton seems to have a similar story

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
uncharismatic conservative maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeemedcynic84 View Post
they aren't decieved by the devil, they were killed by us...

The devil didn't have to do anything... Our rules were so far from where they should have been, regulated against so many things that didn't need to be, that when they got "freedom from them" and because they didn't have a relationship wtih Christ (because all that they were taught was following the rules, like many young people), that they went "hey, this isn't bad" and just kept pushing it...

the Devil didn't have to do anything with these boys, he let us take them so far from the world that when they were released on the world the slingshot of where we took them put them so far out there that they might never get back...
You think it was the UPCI, or was it the divorced parents?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
philjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
We need to give people a healthy balanced gospel, not a strict list of rules and don'ts.

BTW Toni Braxton seems to have a similar story
I think most here would agree with your first statement. If that is Toni's story truth is that she is still responsible for the mistakes she has made.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividedThigh View Post
ok young man, you can sit around the rest of your life and blame the church, but whether you like it or not they are deceived and on the wrong path, and it doestn matter who you blame it is still true, i agree with much of what you said, but what i said is accurate, because no matter how they go into the mess they are in now, it is all the same, to bad and very sad, dt
Its all about the blame game don't ya know? Poor widdle backslider backslid because of the church, nevermind the fact that people will be people and turn from God like they have throughout history.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying they're not in a mess...

I'm saying thier blood (and the blood of those souls who can't bring themselves to find God because of the pain and hurt we've caused them because of our rules) is on our hands.... its our fault...
rules really hurt people? WOW!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
well while i agree it is on somebody, that somebody isnt me, i didnt do that to my own kids or anybody else, i spent 4 of my first years in ministry doing nothing but telling kids they were loved by god and he wanted to have a relationship with them, then i spent 10 years as a pastor preaching and teaching the same, i dont have time to blame the church or anybody but myself for any messes in my life now, and i dont think any of us do, I believe it is our responsibility to make things good with god and move on, my humble opinion, dt
Great post.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonskinner View Post
It was unrestrained carnality and love of the world.

Believe me, their dad was no hard core conservative.

I knew him well, and the boys too.

The hypocrisy they saw probably contributed more to their demise than anything else.

It sounds cool to talk about what a victim you were...all part of the mystique.
We're all victims of the church though coon.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
it is on us for allowing those horrible things to be done by people we call brothers...

by allowing our churches to, by and large, become more about rules and "looking the part" than about a relationship with Christ...

no, it isn't your fault personally...

but, as a corporate body, as a group, as the body of Christ, it is all of our fault for allowing this to continue and never standing up and saying "this is HURTING people!!"
I love the blame game.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
good admonition coonskinner, i know i am one of them, yet i found jesus for myself and overcame it all, that is the key, coming to grips with life, and embracing jesus for yourself, god bless you bro,dt
I don't glory or revel in the fact that I too at one point was backslid. I was backslid not because of the rules, but because of my flesh wanting to be carnal.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
lol

its funny... they backslide, say how our rules make us almost amish (and they do) and all you can do is rip on thier dad for not ENFORCING THE RULES ENOUGH!!

good job pointing the blame on them instead of looking int he mirror and figureing out if you can learn anything from it...
good job on putting the blame on the church.