Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

if your oneness but not UPC what are you?

I am a bit confused on this, are there other oneness organizations?

Do they believe in the apostles doctrine firmly, just without the "Holiness Standards"

Thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM
mary

Re: if your oneness but not UPC what are you?

There are other Oneness organizations.
Here are a couple:
Worldwide Pentecostal Fellowship: generally a bit more conservative than UPC, new org, same basic doctrine
Assemblies of the Lord Jesus Christ: same basic doctrine. The organization is not new, they just never merged with the UPCI. I'd say their holiness standards are about the same as the UPC's. Maybe a bit more liberal than some.
Pentecostal Assemblies of the World: as far as I know, same basic doctrine. The organization isn't new, they don't take quite as strict a stand on "outward holiness".
There are also several loosely organized fellowships (not official organizations) and Independent churches, and a few more orgs I can't think of right now. They vary on "standards" but all teach the same basic Acts 2:38 doctrine.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

A lot these days are simply going under the heading of 'non-denominational'.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
A lot these days are simply going under the heading of 'non-denominational'.
I wonder why. My husband did some work for a church here in my city and the pastor ending up being a PAW pastor so he invited us to visit. I was trying to find the church in the phone book and there was nothing anywhere that identified them as PAW.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
I wonder why. My husband did some work for a church here in my city and the pastor ending up being a PAW pastor so he invited us to visit. I was trying to find the church in the phone book and there was nothing anywhere that identified them as PAW.
A lot are, because while they are oneness, and believe in Spirit infilling, there are many other issues with which they disagree with "Pentecostal" churches. So they no longer feel they should, or want to, use the label "Pentecostal". For many people, the label "Pentecostal" still pretty much links you to the belief system of the UPC.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Kelly View Post
I am a bit confused on this, are there other oneness organizations?

Do they believe in the apostles doctrine firmly, just without the "Holiness Standards"

Thanks
Many. I'll let you do the research. Here's a link you can start with. All I did was google "Oneness Pentecostal organizations". I believe Talmadge French has some stats also.

http://www.apostolic-churches.com/organizations.html

There are many OP independent churches as well.

There are many churches that believe in Jesus name baptism and receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking with other tongues and the Oneness of God that believe a person is saved/justified at faith and repentance.

They also believe in living a life of holiness but not a legalistic holiness.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear

Last edited by mizpeh; 07-14-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Thank you Mary

Also I guess I wonder if there are any churches that believe in "Biblical Modestly" But not the strict stance on hair. Cut vs. Uncut Not looking to debate my opinion on it just wondering if such a church exists. (I am uncut not to split hairs I don't see where it teaches a woman to cut. And I don't see where it teaches to be uncut but it does say that a woman's long hair is her covering)

I am learning there is a lot out there that I never knew before. I have talked with my husband and we know that all churches/organizations may not be 100% correct in everything, that compromises are made here and there but what compromises are being made and for what purpose? Is the Holy Ghost leading the ministers and do they have the right as pastors to enforce their convictions if they are not strait out of the Word. I do think that it is ok if for safety sake we are warned of things that may not have been issues back when the gospels were written but I don't think they should be taught as heaven or hell issues.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Many. I'll let you do the research. Here's a link you can start with. All I did was google "Oneness Pentecostal organizations". I believe Talmadge French has some stats also.

http://www.apostolic-churches.com/organizations.html

There are many OP independent churches as well.

There are many churches that believe in Jesus name baptism and receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking with other tongues and the Oneness of God that believe a person is saved/justified at faith and repentance.

They also believe in living a life of holiness but not a legalistic holiness.
Thanks Mizpeh
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM
America, bless God.

MrsK,

The AWCF currently notes 181 orgs and over 20,000 ministers. This is excluding the UPCI which as I understand it, won't allow it's members to carry more than one affiliation.

Every person I know has standards and every apostolic I know, knows that without holiness no man shall see God. Am I to understand, that the "holiness standards" you're speaking of is primarily refering to "the UPC look/dress code"?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Dave,

Yes that is what I am referring to. I am not saying I am against standards/holiness/biblical modesty just trying to figure out where these different oneness churches/organizations stand on these issues.

I am looking through the site mizpeh posted now.