Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

W F Manley was in Los Angeles in 1905, where he had tent services that attracted the crowd that became the mission that invited William Seymour to be their pastor.

Manley then moved to Oakland. He opened the "Household of God" mission. He was there from 1905 until 1911.

In 1912 Manley returned to Los Angeles where he founded the Pentecostal Mission, not far from the other missions that grew out of the Azuza outpouring.

He passed away in 1936.

More to come.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 08-12-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

In 1918, there were 14 Pentecostal Missions in central Los Angeles. One of them was pastored by "Evangelist" Andrew Urshan.

I noticed it in the city directory of 1918.

I wonder why he was there. How long did he stay ? How did he end up in charge of a mission ? Who was in charge of the mission after he left ?

Did he meet WF Manley ? William Seymour ? Harry Morse was in Oakland in 1918. So they did not meet in Los Angeles. I wonder if Urshan visited Morse in Oakland.

Time for Mr. Pitta to purchase the biography of Urshan. There are 2 that I know of. One was printed in Portland, the other in Stockton.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

1913 AU was in Chicago "Edgewood Central Church" on63 St. ( F.S. Bernauer was the pastor)

1916 AU pens article for the Evangel magazine "Thirsty for God"

1917 AU is in Winnipeg, Manitoba

1918 AU is pastoring the Pentecostal Mission in Los Angeles, California.

1920 AU is in Ramsay, Minnesota

Why did Andrew Urshan go to Los Angeles ?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

William Francis Manley was a Free Methodist prior to moving to Los Angeles in 1904. I'm still not sure why he moved to LA. Most of his ministry had been in the midwest. He was in Oakland for 6 years. After he left Oakland, his church merged with the Apostolic Faith Mission in San Franscisco. That was in 1911.

Manley returned to LA and pastored a mission near Azuza street until 1917. during that time he wrote a book about prophecy. His last years he was retired and breading goats.

Manley left Oakland in 1911. Harry Morse and his team moved to Oakland in 1915 and began the Big Downtown Mission. Many of his Azuza friends visited his church. If there was interaction between the Apostolic Faith Mission in SF and the Big Downtown Mission, I have not found it, yet.

Lydia Swinton ran the mission in Stockton after Morse left it to move to Oakland. But I have not found any interaction between the 2 missions.

Research slowly continues. This is your update.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Again thanks for your work on this.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

This is so interesting...I join the others in saying thanks for sharing your research. As a young man, I was acquainted with Ellis Scism who was with Morse as a student. Ellis & Marjorie Scism were still living in Portland, Oregon when I knew them and I remember that he kept papers and periodicals going back many decades. I suspect he may have had some stuff from his Harry Morse days. I wonder what happened to all of it?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

4/21/33 Spencer News Herald Spencer, Iowa

A convention of ministers, elders, evangelists and members of the Oneness churches of the Northwestern and Central Western states, is to be held in Spencer on April 14 to 23, it is announced by Elder C. E. Lundquist, pastor on East First street. Elder H. E. Doss of Marathon os cooperating in making plans for the meeting. Chairmen of the convention will be D. D. Dainty of Knoxville, In. and the secretary is Elder B. D. Urshan of St. Paul, Minn.

The Oneness council includes the churches of the states of Iowa, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska and a large attendance is expected. Further announcements are to be made as the time of the convention nears.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

I saw the Spencer paper article and had to post it. All the names and details are unknown to me. It has nothing to do with Harry Morse, but it is odd enough to post.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Andrew Urshan visited Harry Morse in 1930.

Andrew Urshan was in Winnipeg, Manitoba in July of 1917. With him was A. G. Garr. Garr was the first white pastor of any denomination to be Spirit filled at Azuza (June 16, 1906)

The other traveling minister with Urshan was 'W. Black".

Who was he ? He is not on my list of Azuza revival participants.

?????????????
Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
4/21/33 Spencer News Herald Spencer, Iowa

A convention of ministers, elders, evangelists and members of the Oneness churches of the Northwestern and Central Western states, is to be held in Spencer on April 14 to 23, it is announced by Elder C. E. Lundquist, pastor on East First street. Elder H. E. Doss of Marathon os cooperating in making plans for the meeting. Chairmen of the convention will be D. D. Dainty of Knoxville, In. and the secretary is Elder B. D. Urshan of St. Paul, Minn.

The Oneness council includes the churches of the states of Iowa, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska and a large attendance is expected. Further announcements are to be made as the time of the convention nears.
Thanks for the updates Scott! Brother Dainty was pastor of the wife's family in Knoxville. They came into pentecost there in the 1920's. There were a few conventions held in Auroraville, Wisconsin about this same time also. I just read Samuel Hardt's biography which mentions some of these meetings with these same old-time pentecostals.