Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

View Poll Results: Pick option that's closest to your personal faith:
Jesus Name 3-Stepper & Dress Standards (No Pants/Cut Hair/Make-Up for Women) 10 32.26%
Titles 3-Stepper & Dress Standards (No Pants/Cut Hair/Make-Up for Women) 1 3.23%
Jesus Name 3-Stepper & No Dress Standards 9 29.03%
Titles 3-Stepper & No Dress Standards 0 0%
Jesus Name 1-Stepper & Tongues Subsequent Experience for all believers 1 3.23%
Titles 1-Stepper & Tongues Subsequent Experience for all believers 2 6.45%
1 Stepper & No Tongues Necessary/Normal 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Are All the Apostolics Gone from AFF?

I was inspired to post this after reading Epley's latest thread about regretting even posting here anymore, because there are no more Apostolics on the board.

While I currently attend a UPCI church, my inclination is certain against the traditional "Apostolic" church (dress standards are just impossible to defend, IMO...emphasis on tongues is also something I take issue with, though I'm not convinced they're not indicative of the initial evidence...though I'm still prayerfully studying the topic).

The poll has several options to try to take as granular look as possible from the group here. I would have preferred 8 options, but unfortunately the limit is 7, so hopefully that will work.

By "Jesus Name" or "Titles" I mean when you do baptize (regardless of what you believe it's significance is related to salvation/the Christian walk), do you do so in Jesus Name or Titles.

I know these options may still not be granular enough for some, but hopefully there are enough options that you all feel comfortable selecting the one that you most closely identify with. Feel free to discuss if you have variance from the one you selected.

(BTW, for dress standards, I focused on the "holy trinity" for women, because those seem to be the most universal among "Apostolics". More stringent standards for men (facial hair, shorts/no shorts) seem to be more variable. Remember, this is just a request to pick the one that you feel most closely aligns with what you personally believe, even if it's not 100%.)

Also, by "3-Stepper" I mean you believe in saved Christians needing to experience Repentance, Water Baptism, and the Infilling of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues. By "1-Stepper" I mean you believe that saved Christians Repent/Believe in Jesus, but are not "required" to be Baptized or have a tongues-experience with the Holy Ghost infilling.

Last edited by Real Realism; 11-19-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Re: Are All the Apostolics Gone from AFF?

Also, another BTW, I selected Jesus Name 3-Stepper & No Standards, because that's what I most closely align with. Even though I'm probably somewhere in between that and a Jesus Name 1 Stepper that believes the Holy Ghost infilling w/ speaking in tongues is for all believers. I believe strongly in the command to be baptized in Jesus' name and if you don't do so, you must not really believe in Jesus. I also believe that the Holy Ghost is a promise to all believers, and without the Spirit of Christ, we are none of his...and that the book of Acts strongly indicates tongues as the initial evidence of having received the Spirit. But I'm not convinced that a believer who is obedient to the best of their knowledge is "lost" even if they haven't received the Holy Ghost yet. But I don't think that it's an experience that should be omitted from our preaching/teaching, and that it is a wonderful gift promised to every believer to live an overcoming life on this earth.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

I also hold to the standard of dress.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Realism View Post
I was inspired to post this after reading Epley's latest thread about regretting even posting here anymore, because there are no more Apostolics on the board.
Just another in a long list of whiners who could not get their way and force out those that don't agree with them on everything...

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I am a true Apostolic Christian. Everything starts with faith and continues by faith. If ANYONE wants to be a disciple to Jesus they MUST forsake all others and all else in comparison.

1. Repent.
2. Be baptized into the name of Yeshua/Jesus.
3. Receive the Holy Spirit....followed by tongues or perhaps prophecy.

Laying on of hands to receive the Spirit. Gifts of the Spirit are real. Post trib rapture. There is no "immortal soul". At death we "sleep" until awakened by Christ at the FIRST RESURRECTION.

The wicked will not gain immortality, eternal life in the lake of fire. They will perish in its flames when God wills.

Christ will rule this world for 1000 years, his saints will be his kings and priests converting the Earth to its original state as the garden of Eden.

All saints are to be like Christ. Only they who do the will of God should have assurance they will be FINALLY SAVED.

God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus. Everyone will be judged with perfect justice.

My personal preference is that men wear beards and women wear long dresses or skirts. Apostolic sisters cover their heads with a veil if they participate in body ministry. I reject that a woman trimming her hair is a sin.

Churches of sufficient size to warrant it have plurality of elders. The Elders of the Church should work with their hands and not expect tithes from the saints. Saints are to give to the work of God and to the poor as they are able.

It is our responsibility to teach the full gospel including all the commandments of Christ. This is the great commission.

How could I have forgot to include this most magnificent truth?

JESUS IS BOTH THE FATHER AND THE SON!

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 11-19-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Thank you, Real, for Posting this. I was wondering the same thing. I am Apostolic thru and thru, except, I don't believe in man-made laws. Nor a dress code. I believe in modest dressing, but let each decide what is modest. If a Pentecostal women doesn't have enough sense, or desire to serve God in Holiness, o dress modestly, how can she decide in everyday things that come up? Is someone going to hold her hand and tell her everything that she should do?

I believe pretty much as you and Michael.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 PM
of 9!! :)

I think myself to be Apostolic.
I believe in
Repentence
Baptism in Jesus' Name
and infilling of the Holyghost
with evidence of speaking in
other tongues.
I strive to live a modest and
holiness lifestyle.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 PM
of 9!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Just another in a long list of whiners who could not get their way and force out those that don't agree with them on everything...
Bro Epley? A whiner? LOL!

Will you be happy when the forum is finally all NON Apostolic?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I also hold to the standard of dress.
We non UPC also hold to a standard of dress, you do not see any of our members attending church naked do you?

actually I am beginning to find offensive the charge that we do not have a standard of dress, just because we do not follow the UPCI standard of dress does not mean that we have none.

so yes we do have a standard of dress, it just does not happen to be yours.

Last edited by FlamingZword; 11-19-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

There was once an Apostolic Pentecostal Forum called The Good News Café. It was early on a pretty good forum. In time under new ownership it became very censored. Eventually it collapsed.

The reason I still like this Forum is because there is freedom to speak. I do agree that those who are trying to destroy faith in the Bible should be banned.

My hope is that admin wont get tired of the whole thing and close it down.