Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Re: Visiting a UPC Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
That's a great analogy, however, don't forget that God is simultaneously "steam," "water" and "ice." That's something water can't do.

This also leads many to see a complexity within the nature of God that is not often summed up satisfactorily in many of the different creeds, belief statements and Articles of Faith.
Actually, water can exist both as ice, liquid water, and steam simultaneously. This is called the TRIPLE POINT of water...

http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094...s/triplpt.html
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Harris View Post
So we visited Sunday, I really liked it. The worship service was great and the preacher had a great message. It reminded me of some great COG services I had been in many years back.

Here's another reason that drew me in, these people are really a church family, they go on trips together, eat together, a lot of fellowship together outside of church.

Patrick
Because of the "seperation" standards the UPC is a very closed culture and being such they do tend to have a lot of social activities together.

Been there, done that, got the T Shirt, and can't imagine going back. However if it floats your boat to have an extra biblical laundry list of rules enforced from the pulpit running your life go for it!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Because of the "seperation" standards the UPC is a very closed culture and being such they do tend to have a lot of social activities together.

Been there, done that, got the T Shirt, and can't imagine going back. However if it floats your boat to have an extra biblical laundry list of rules enforced from the pulpit running your life go for it!

CC1,

Perhaps Patrick Harris' perception of the church is not the same as yours. Why not wait and see how your grandchildren and great-grandchildren turn out after a generation or so of negative thoughts and comments about the UPC.

I know for a fact that many who have done the same thing, have reaped a sad harvest after listening to their parents negative comments and thoughts about their upbringing and the church they were raised in. Many of their own parents
are not living for God today. How will this affect future generations.

Our parents raised us up in the fear and admonition of the LORD. The UPC was not around when I was born. My late father, who was also our pastor for over 30 yrs, was licensed with the UPC. He told me, "While the UPC is not perfect,
it is the best I have seen, and I looked for a long time
. Dad believed in weighing everything in the light of the Word of GOD! Not in an organization.

So I grew up not looking to an organization to be my guide, but to look to the Word of God as an Instruction book and the HOLY GHOST to be MY GUIDE! The UPC was an organization that was a good means of fellowship, etc.

I mean no offense, CC1, but I see a great danger in the critical spirit too many have today. They criticize too many things before their children, grandchildren, etc. Those who follow after us learn to criticize from those who have a Critical spirit. Too many today have critized and made fun of the way they were raised, in the home and in the church! I do not feel GOD is pleased! Can't help but wonder what pattern they are following and their precious children will follow.
Many times the critical spirit some have, is far worse than the very thing they are criticizing.
I pray this will be received in the same spirit it is given!

Falla39
Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

Having read some post on here, specifically those like Steve Epley, I wonder if I really saw a truly UPC church. I didn't realize how much animosity there was toward people who believed in the trinity.

Patrick
Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Renewed

Quote:
Having read some post on here, specifically those like Steve Epley, I wonder if I really saw a truly UPC church. I didn't realize how much animosity there was toward people who believed in the trinity.

Patrick
Your posting on an "I hate UPC" sounding board forum. You'll get used to it, maybe.

But your correct in your thinking. Just with any org there are some great churches and some not so great ones. But try to tell anyone here that your UPC church is a good one and you better have on more than the armour of God.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 09-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Your posting on an "I hate UPC" sounding board forum. You'll get used to it, maybe.

But your correct in your thinking. Just with any org there are some great churches and some not so great ones. But try to tell anyone here that your UPC church is a good one and you better have on more than the armour of God.
Yep, some are bitter.
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Patrick
Patrick,

By the same token, I could say the same thing about many that believe in the trinity. After over fifty years of seeing the animosity toward those who believe that "all the fulness of the Godhead is in Jesus" and those who baptize inJesus Name. I have had many friends, neighbors and acquaintances who would call me for prayer. They wanted me to pray and some even wanted to tell me WHAT to pray. But when it came to obedience to the Word of God pertaining to salvation, they wanted no part of it. They would pray for healing, and other things they desired, but when it came to baptism in the name of Jesus, they wanted no part of it. There is much more I could say but won't.

My late father planted a vineyard in the city we still live in. We have lived here since Sept 30th, 1950. We didn't come to our city as UPC. We came as apostolic (or Jesus Name) Pentecostals. We had previously attended a small town church that came into being, after my paternal and my maternal grandmothers, my mother and father, received the Holy Ghost in the early 1930's. JESUS had passed by, visiting that tiny town. HE came in the form of an old white-haired street preacher who came preaching on the street corner. Afterwards began an open-air revival behind the stores and later began a church plant. Jerusalem didn't know the day of their visitation, but thank God a few people in Savoy, Tx, heard, believed and obeyed the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Thank God through them, He came to me.

We have been in our city 61 yrs ago tomorrow, Sept. 30, 2011. I believe every town, hamlet, village and city will be visited by someone that was willing to carry HIM inside their vessel and tell the GOOD NEWS that HE IS ALIVE and WELL TODAY. HE dwells in the hearts of those who desire HIM to live there. No, God didn't allow His Son to be born in big proud Jerusalem, but HE did allow him to be born in a lowly stable in the tiny, humble town ofBethlehem. Although, in reality HE was their King, they didn't recognize Him because of the way He came to earth. A tiny package, gift wrapped, lying in a manager.

When we moved to our city (which was a very small town back in 1950), we were not popular with any of the churches in our community. Every church was trinitarian. We were oneness Pentecostal. Today, Dad and Mom are no longer with us in body, but because they allowed HIM to use them to bring HIM to this city, and lived and raised a large family, all eleven of us graduating from the local high school. We have lived here long enough to shut the mouths of the naysayers of Oneness Pentecostals in ____, TX. We love all people with the LOVE OF GOD shed abroad in our hearts by the HOLY GHOST!Patrick, seek the WILL of GOD and don't get your eyes on man. LOOK to JESUS, THE AUTHOR and THE FINISHER of our faith!!

Later my late father held license with the United Pentecostal Church and worked in fellowship with them. Dad felt their Foreign Missions plan to be a good one. In 1988, the church Dad founded received Recognition as #3 in worldwide per capti giving to Foreign Missions, UPC. He had become ill and was not able to attend General Conference to receive this award. His son received it in his place. The church Dad founded has never and is not in the org. per se. The present pastor is licensed with the United Pentecostal Church and we continue to work in fellowship.

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Patrick
Yeah, if I were to summarize what was taught to me while I was in the UPC and what I preached while I ministered there it would be this:

"If you are not baptized by full immersion with "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remmission of sins" vocally uttered over you by the right authoritative minister you are going to hell.

If you never speak in tongues you are going to hell.

If you believe that Jesus is God but do not think he is his own Father or the Holy Spirit you are going to hell.

If you do all this and do not follow man-made standards you can still go to hell.

If you disagree with your pastor you could be in danger of hell-fire."

I have heard sermons on all this stuff. None of this can be legitimately supported from the scriptures. Ultimately the UPC as a whole teaches weak theology because it is unbiblical.

Because they come from the Pentecostal/Charismatic tradition the spirituality of the worship is usually the kind that you will experience in other Pentecostal and Charismatic churches. This is good until they start pounding their false doctrines from the pulpit.

I personally don't suggest the UPC for anybody. I hope this helps summarize the main beliefs of the organization.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefortruth;1102110 Yeah, [B
if I were to summarize what was taught to me while I was in the UPC and what I preached while I ministered there[/B] it would be this:

"If you are not baptized by full immersion with "in the name of Jesus Christ for the remmission of sins" vocally uttered over you by the right authoritative minister you are going to hell.

If you never speak in tongues you are going to hell.

If you believe that Jesus is God but do not think he is his own Father or the Holy Spirit you are going to hell.

If you do all this and do not follow man-made standards you can still go to hell.

If you disagree with your pastor you could be in danger of hell-fire."

I have heard sermons on all this stuff. None of this can be legitimately supported from the scriptures. Ultimately the UPC as a whole teaches weak theology because it is unbiblical.

Because they come from the Pentecostal/Charismatic tradition the spirituality of the worship is usually the kind that you will experience in other Pentecostal and Charismatic churches. This is good until they start pounding their false doctrines from the pulpit.

I personally don't suggest the UPC for anybody. I hope this helps summarize the main beliefs of the organization.
Livefortruth, If you are really only 20 yrs old, as your profile indicates, just
how long were you in the UPC and how long did you minister?

I can tell by many of your responses that you are not someone I would want
to follow as a mentor. Don't mean to be offensive but you do not have the
years, the experience or the wisdom to be advising others, in IMOP.

Falla39
Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Apostolic Pentecostal

I know that it has been a while since I was on this site, but I will post briefly.

My father said for many years that he was a member of the UPCI because there was nothing better. He was not thrilled with the idea of going independent, and was not thrilled with any of the other options. When he finally felt that something better had come, he left. We did not bad mouth, although we mourned.

We are still in contact with ministers who stayed, and we even have family that remained in the UPCI. It took some time. We have friends who are independent, friends in the UPCI, and friends in other organizations. We only wish for all to have the very best that God has for them.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.